Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janegael

What Would Kill an Young Established Plant?

JaneGael
14 years ago

The President has left the building. He's never done as well as the last one I had, maybe getting too much sun...? But the plant is/was about 4 years old and produced some beautiful blooms last year.

This year some shoots started to come up. Our weather got unpleasantly cold and then they were gone. Since then -- nothing. The baby clems in pots in the garden are really taking off and my Henryii is pushing up hard, but nothing from the Prez. I have to assume he's gone to the great Oval Office in the Sky. I just don't understand why.

Comments (8)

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Likely not dead.

Slugs or earwigs could have eaten the emerging shoots and set him back. I'm having a similar problem with Bluebird, six inches tall one day and gone the next.

People give up on Clematis too easily. They do recover from the buried crown most of the time. Unless they have rotted.

• bellarosa
    14 years ago

I have the same issue with my Venosa Violaceau (sp?). So far it has no growth whatsoever. All of my other clematis have formed leaves, but there's nothing on VV. I don't want to give up on it. This is a beautiful clematis. If you don't have it, you should get one:

{{gwi:585329}}

• sue_ct
    14 years ago

I planted a clematis that wilted away and did not reappear the next year. I planted one on the other side of the mailbox and the third year the original one came back. It has been coming back every year since. I have no explanation as to how a plant can disappear for as long as a year or more and then come back. But I definately would not assume yours is gone yet.

Sue

• bellarosa
    14 years ago

Sue,

Guess what? VV was sleeping! I checked her yesterday and she has a 1-2" growth coming out of the base. I just love this clematis - you have to get one, if you don't have it.

Bellarosa

• sue_ct
    14 years ago

I will definitely check which group it is in. I am also looking for a purple or burgundy to go with a New Dawn pink rose that is probably really Van Fleet since it only blooms once a year and New Dawn is supposed to be a re bloomer. A type III that blooms after the New Dawn is done (which blooms in June). That would give the area more color and interest the rest of the time.

Sue

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

I have "New Dawn" and she is a repeat bloomer..had you thought of growing Clematis "Purpea Plens Elgans" with her..a gorgeous combo...Jeanne

• sue_ct
    14 years ago

Thanks Jeanne, that is a beautiful clematis. I would really love to dig up that rose and give it away and replant with a real New Dawn or other re bloomer. It would be a lot of work because the rose has been there about 5 years now and is fairly large. I have to decide weather to do that or just plant a clematis with the current rose and call it done. It looks like this one would be great there. The rose is really too big for the trellis but I have been cutting it back and am thinking about that trellis kit people have been taking about here recently. I wonder if that would be ok on siding. I wouldn't want the weight of the rose or clem to pull the siding away from the house or off.

Sue

• judith5bmontreal
    14 years ago

Sue, I have installed the trellis kit on my aluminum fence and also my aluminum shed, to hold several clematis, but after a year or so, they started to pop off. I have repaired them several times, but may have to buy another kit (as another poster advised recently) since the silicone I have doesn't work very well. I would hesitate to use it for a rose the size of Dr. Van Fleet (I also have a Dr that was supposed to be New Dawn!). I doubt if these trellis kits are strong enough for that. Maybe someone else has tried it successfully and will chime in.
    Judith

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus