Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you recognize this clematis?

Posted by janepa Z5-6 PA (My Page) on
Fri, May 28, 10 at 6:40

I moved this clematis from it's original home last fall, and it seems to like where I planted it very much. I have not decided if I like it, or not. The flowers face down, and are around 2 1/2" wide. It looks like it is a prolific bloomer. When the leaves first appeared they looked like my Venosa Violacea. It is a prune 3.

Enlarged -

Thank you. Jane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you recognize this clematis?

Betty Corning, is it scented?
One of my favourite clematis.

o

I'd agree with 'Betty Corning' :-) Oddly, viticellas (and most other type III's) do not start blooming here until quite a bit later in the season.....late June or early July typically. I am always surprised when I see them in bloom earlier in other parts of the country.

o

Thank you for your replies.

gardengal48 - I am also confused with the early blooming if this is Betty Corning. My Venosa Violacea is growing well and if there are any buds, they are tiny. Our weather here in central PA has been warmer (darn right hot) this spring so maybe that has something to do with it. Betty ??? is really growing well, even though this is her first year at this location.

Thank you. Jane

o

Since I am 'scent challenged' my husband took a sniff and he said this clematis does have a fragrance. It is very overcast today and in the mid 70s. Earlier this week it was in the high 80s, but we did not check to see if it was fragrant then.

Thanks again for your help. Jane

o

Our springs here are cool and wet and that seems to delay flowering on a lot of plants. I have friends in colder (in winter) climates that get more sun in spring who have blooms a lot earlier. I have some friends in New York and PA that have waterlilies close to two months before I do.

o

Today when I looked at this clematis the color was a deeper blue/lavender purple. I don't know why it changed. I am still not sure this is Betty Corning, but I cannot find any match when I check Clematis on the Web.

Jane

o

Here are a few more photos from different sources:

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/Plant.asp?code=B842

http://www.clematisinternational.com/page49.html

http://www.joycreek.com/150-060-1.htm

http://www.greatplantpicks.org/print?searchtype=&id=9478&searchterm=all

http://www.gardenersworld.com/plant-detail/PL00001659/7186/viticella-group-clematis

o

Janet, thank you for taking the time to get the websites for me. I really appreciate it. I checked out each one, with the exception of the last. My service is dial-up and the Gardeners World never went beyond the first page, probably because my computer is so slow. We live in a rural area and I can only get internet access by dial-up.

I checked the clematis this morning and I am now convinced that it is Betty Corning.

Thanks again to all of you for your help. Jane

o

My pleasure Jane. I was trying to match up clematis yesterday, so I was checking multiple sources for color, so I checked BC at the same time.

It's such a pretty clematis, one that I don't have yet.

o

Betty grows like a wild woman, her vines don't even try to grip my trellis. They go off in different directions. Her leaves are small and she is one of the very few with fragrance.

o

Sounds like BC would make a good ground cover.

o

It looks just like my Betty Corning. Betty began blooming two weeks ago here in eastern Pennsylvania. Everything is early this year.

Buyorsell described Betty exactly. She is the run away train of the clematis world.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here