Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliany_gw

Another yellowing leaves issue

Julia WV (6b)
12 years ago

I had cut back this clematis last fall. In the spring regrowth started and was fine. However, over the last month I've noticed that half of the vines are turning yellow while the other half stay green. We have had a cool wet spring, lots of rain here. The vine is growing in height okay but the yellowing leaves are a problem but I've no clue why.

I would appreciate some thoughts on what might be causing the yellowing. Here are some pics.

{{gwi:585432}}

{{gwi:585434}}

Julia

Comments (11)

• flowergirl70ks
    12 years ago

I to would like some help here. My Josephine is growing between Etoile Violette and HF Young. they are both nice and green and Josephine is yellow. Why?/

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh my. I guess it may not be a good year for clematis if others are experiencing difficulties with the yellowing as well.
    I just ordered Josephine so I hope it isn't a problematic clematis.:-(.

Julia

• mikesin
    12 years ago

The link below might help you

Here is a link that might be useful: general care

• michael_in_chicago
    12 years ago

I sometimes get yellow streaks on lower leaves during cold snaps in the spring, but it won't kill the plant. This picture, however, looks like a deficiency. It could be a number of different pH and/or nutrient deficiencies.

I would try top dressing with compost and a nice liquid fertilizer to see what happens. Yellowing like this can mean a lack of nitrogen or magnesium, so a general fertilizer would be a way to start.

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I added alfalfa tea (which I use on other plants I have here)over the weekend but have not tried the suggestion of Epsom salts per the link to the General Care information from mikesin. I did test the soil and it has a reading of 7 for the pH.

I'll get some Epsom salts and see if this improves it. My question is should I use the entire 1 gallon at one time? I am assuming this would be a weekly regime until the color improves?

Thank you for the help.

• michael_in_chicago
    12 years ago

No, do not use the entire gallon of Epsom salts! Magnesium is very water soluble and will wash out fairly soon, but an overdose is just as bad as a deficiency. If your pH is 7, you may want to try lowering it a bit for patens type clematis, adding a bit of elemental sulfur to the surface of the soil. It seems to affect uptake of certain nutrients in my soil.

• ditas
    12 years ago

My Josephine is 10 years old & like Ramona never failed to flower beautifully all those years 'til just now. I have bookmarked the site posted by mikesin for quite some time now.
    The only different thing I did this early Spring was clean up the site by thinning neighbors encroaching & hogging Josephine's space. I did also trim Josephine's twines w/ care. Since flashing this past week, her blossoms are smaller & outer petals are somewhat contorted/deformed; some leaves are mottled-yellow. We've had quire a bit of rain lately but the 4 others seem to handle the situation ok, so far.

Does Epsum Salt really work - have a few of you tried for yellowed leave symptoms w/ good results?

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I got a pic of the leaves yesterday. Half the plant has green leaves and the other half are the yellows.

{{gwi:585436}}

Julia

• jaxelradjd_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

My Jackmani was fine for 10 years. Then 5 years ago leaves started yellowing and then turning dry and brown early in the season, with less flowering, too. I've tried epson salts once a week for the entire season, and I've tried fertilizer specially sold for clematis, all to no avail. I have alkaline soil and there's no evidence of insects. I suppose I'll try more epson salt solution, compost and mulching next!

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I started a regime of Epsom salt a few days ago and will apply weekly. I've mulched the area so it is a wait and see what happens.
    Oddest thing is half the vines stayed green and the other half are yellowy.
    My other clematis that has been here for years also is just starting to grow so we shall see what happens with that one.

Julia

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

I would cut back the yellow foliage/vines. They aren't going to turn green....

Chlorosis caused by iron or magnesium deficiency doesn't look like that uniform yellowing. It leaves the veins of the leaves green.