Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lhayes1976

Help ID my ugly clematis?

Lisa Hayes
13 years ago

I do not have a pic, but this clematis is a vigorous grower, It is the ugliest color I've ever seen. It's a washed out lilac/pink color. When it blooms it has a color of a flower that's actually fading and on its way out. I hate to cut it down since's it such a good grower, but I've never been able to ID it. I bought it in a multi-pak from wally world. I have it growing with a Zephrine Dourhin rose and this clematis almost took this rose over this spring. Just curious if anyone might know what the name of this plant is. Never thought I would see a clematis that I didn't like, but I am not too fond of this one.

Comments (12)

• janepa
    13 years ago

Is it a large flower or small flower?

I have one blooming now that is a four petal, small leaved
    clematis which I believe is from the viticella family because of the size and shape of the leaves. It is the color of which you describe, but I need to research my clematis file to find it's name. I moved it last fall to this location and now that it is blooming I wonder why I kept it. I do not like the color either. I remember it as a pretty, light blue last year.

Jane

• janepa
    13 years ago

I just found my list and mine might be Betty Corning. A lot of people like this one, but right now mine is not appealing to me. Maybe it will get better.

Good luck with your search. Jane

• janepa
    13 years ago

Sorry!!! Mine is not Betty Corning. The leaves are not a match. The leaves on mine definitely are a look-a-like of
    my Venose Violacea.

I will be searching, too.

Jane

• Lisa Hayes
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Those two are definitely not mine. They are quite nice. The one I have is just plain and boring.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Betty Corning is fragrant and the flowers are blue/lavender not washed out pink.

I think Comtesse de Bouchard is washed out pink, have you looked at her photos?

Here is a link that might be useful: Comtesse

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    13 years ago

If yours is Comtesse de Bouchard, perhaps it is because it is the vivid shades of Zephrine Dourhin that are making the Comtesse, in contrast, look dull and uninteresting. Perhaps in a different location where it doesn't have to compete with bright pinks, the Comtesse would look better.

I was going to hazard a guess that your clem might be the mauve-lavender Prince Charles--but I don't remember it getting any pinker than a mauve shade. It is a "dull" color--but I rather like it and have it climbing my Golden Showers rose. It looks nice with the yellow--but it doesn't "pop" like a dark purple would, for instance.

Kate

• unprofessional
    13 years ago

Going to be near impossible to ID without a pic

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

I felt that way about Hagley Hybrid.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I also was not impressed with Hagley Hybrid but moving it to a shadier location keeps the flowers from fading so much and now they are pretty.

I think Price Charles is gorgeous.

{{gwi:585490}}

Betty Corning

{{gwi:585492}}

Hagley Hybrid

{{gwi:585494}}

• kitkat_oregon
    13 years ago

BoS, what is the dark purple clem in the picture with Betty Corning? Are there two? A larger flower and a smaller one? Thanks, Kat

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

It is 'Etoile Violette'. The smaller flowers are just younger.

• Lisa Hayes
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I wish I had a pic. But this monster almost took over my rose, so I cut it all the way back. Since I'm not crazy about it, I won't really miss it this year. It blooms a little later than my ZD rose, so their not really blooming together.
    It may be a Hagley Hybrid. I may just dig it up completely and stick in somewhere else in the garden.