Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janepa_gw

Do you know of clematis fertilizer recipe by John Perez

janepa
13 years ago

Is this for real? I was doing a search on butterfly bushes and there was an item at the bottom about a great fertilizer for clematis. Of course, when I checked it out there was a big 'ad' to buy this guys 'book' by downloading it for only $19.99 instead of the $80.-$90. if you buy by May 9. Have you ever heard of him or downloaded his product?

Thank you. Jane

Comments (23)

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

It's a scam. You will get a recipe for a homemade fertilizer that has been widely available for years.

• janepa
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you. I thought it might be a scam. My clematis are doing fine, but I thought it would not hurt to see if anyone tried this recipe.
    Jane

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

I ran across someone on the internet who ordered the recipe. If I find it I'll post it so you can at least see what it is.

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

This is close to the recipe of not the exact one.

1 can beer
    1 cup epsom salt
    1/2 cup ammonia
    2 cups water

Mix together and add 1/2 oz to 1 gallon of water, feed every 2 weeks.

• unprofessional
    13 years ago

The only thing secret about it is that it's weak enough that it's near impossible to kill your clems with it, so that when the plants keep growing like they normally do, people think it's their "secret" mix working well.

Stick to rose/tomato fert, if you really feel the need to fertilize.

• jerry0
    13 years ago

I think that epson salts is the only thing needed. It is also recommended for roses. It contains sulpher and magnesium. A tablespoon once or twice a year will keep the magnesium in the soil up. It's especially good for roses but I use it on everything at least once a year. Use sparingly.

• Patsey Nelson
    13 years ago

I don't know about clematis but I ordered his book on tomatoes. It is not a book, it is four pages with a few (very few) recipes. Worthless.
    Patsey

• mazjs_dodo_com_au
    13 years ago

I put in an order but haven't received anything except a receipt. How do I get the download? I think I've been had.

• jeanne_texas
    13 years ago

It's a scam and the only secret is he stole it from Jerry Baker..LOL..the trick is Alfalfa Tea and Rose or Tomato Fertilizer..and hard pruning..good luck and happy Spring..I am so excited..come on Spring...

• cathompson03_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I really appreciate your posts about Mr Perez's tomato growing secrets. I am amazed to see that it contains ammonia. Is ammonia safe for human consumption or as a fertilizer? I only remember the strong and stifling odor from childhood and couldn't believe it could be used in the garden. Epsom salt is used to help cabbages head. I learned this from my gardening book by Dick Raymond. He advises that as soon as you notice your cabbages beginning to make heads, apply a side dressing of Epsom Salt for each plant. I believe it is 1 tablespoon per plant. If anyone is interest, I will be happy to look it up and post the information. Thank you all for preventing me from being scammed again.

• cathompson03_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I really appreciate your posts about Mr Perez's tomato growing secrets. I am amazed to see that it contains ammonia. Is ammonia safe for human consumption or as a fertilizer? I only remember the strong and stifling odor from childhood and couldn't believe it could be used in the garden. Epsom salt is used to help cabbages head. I learned this from my gardening book by Dick Raymond. He advises that as soon as you notice your cabbages beginning to make heads, apply a side dressing of Epsom Salt for each plant. I believe it is 1 tablespoon per plant. If anyone is interest, I will be happy to look it up and post the information. Thank you all for preventing me from being scammed again.

• kentstar
    13 years ago

Be careful using Epsom salts if your soil is already high in magnesium. A soil test is the best way to know first hand.

• sandyl
    12 years ago

OMG Alfalfa Tea stinks to high heaven, smells like S*** in a bucket. I added two cups of alfalfa feed pellets to a five gal bucket of water and covered the bucket and left it to WORK! That bucket of crap stunk up my whole storage shed. I got it on my hand and thought I was going to never get it off and almost throwed up until I got it off, had to use ammonia to get it off, washed my hands in dish soap and hair conditioner and several other things to help get it off my hands. . My clematis's better like it........I don't know if I'll be using it very offten due to the smell...But I know I'll use rubber gloves next time for sure. Sandy

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

You don't have to make "tea" to use alfalfa. You can just toss the pellets like I do.

• bob414
    12 years ago

I use it without making tea also. Each spring when I prune I work rose fertilizer and alfalfa pellets into the ground around each rose and clematis.

• Joel Morris
    12 years ago

Do you get alfalfa pellets at a feed store like Tractor Supply or a place that sells horse feed? Thanks, Joel

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    12 years ago

That's where I get them. You have to be sure they don't add salt to the pellets.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

Yes, the best place to buy alfalfa pellets is a horse feed store.

I just toss handfuls at the plants around the yard. I don't bury them nor scratch them in. Easy. Cheap. Seems to be working too, tons more buds on my daylilies, Clematis have more vines. I started last summer.

Rabbit/guinea pig pellets have additives and aren't pure alfalfa. Also a lot more expensive per volumn.

• Ruth_MI
    12 years ago

How often do you spread the alfalfa pellets? I put alfalfa meal on my clematis and other plants in April, and was thinking I'd do another application. Maybe I'll try pellets this time. I'm thinking they'd be more of a time-release option, plus have less dust.

• ditas
    11 years ago

In search of Alfalfa pellets last Spring, the only thing available are bails of alfalfa ~ I ended up using Tomato Tone 'til I find some.

Meantime, I took a visiting Granddau to a horse farm for some classes this summer & found they fed their horses alfalfa mix ~ they gave me a couple of small bails for a few $$. After blooming done, pruned ~ soaked & clipped the smallish bail & surrounded the base of each of my clems. Is this how it is done if using raw/dried alfalfa & not pellets?

Your thoughts please? TIA

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Every feed store I've ever been to has bagged alfalfa pellets. Forty pound bags about ten bucks.

Alfalfa hay can have weed seeds, I would not use it in my garden. There is also a lot of chaff and stem.

• Marlene Schmidt
    11 years ago

Try TSC (Tractor Supply), a Farm Fleet or a local Farmer's Co-op. Got ours at TSC, $10 or so, without salt. So easy to scatter around clems. We do use alfalfa meal in the hole whenever we plant anything. Got it at the local F. Co-op.

• ditas
    11 years ago

Uh-oh ... I should have posted my question before doing what I did ~ now I'll have another headache w/ all weeds that might sprout around my Clemmies ~ sigh!!