Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funnthesun

How many would you plant? (PIC!)

I posted this in another post and got some feedback on my other questions, but this one is still unresolved, so I thought a pic might help. The question is, how many clems would you put on a fence that is 10 ft high and about 17 or 18 feet long?

I am planning to either paint or stain the fence. Would you do a dark green to blend into the foilage or contrast it with a stain color? Here is the pic:

{{gwi:585530}}

Thanks so much, you guys!

Comments (13)

• sandyl
    13 years ago

I would put 5. All 5 would be of the same prunning group and I would just stain the fence and then sit back and enjoy the view. Please post picture's when you have it completed. I think your clematis's will be more then happy on that fence. Sandy

• hibiscusjoe
    13 years ago

me, I'd plant at least five if not six-seven. plant the variety(s) that you like and worry about color only.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

5 or 6 of the same pruning group, IIIs are the ones recommended by Miguel who lived in NC. He recommended them very strongly over IIs for your climate.

I'd stain it rather than paint it.

• jeanne_texas
    13 years ago

Miguel would laugh at the thought of only putting 5 or 6 clematis there...he was my Mentor and guru and help me to become a Southern Style Clematis huzzy!!..He was known to plant 6-8 inches apart maybe even a foot!!..he loved their entwined beauty..and yeah..I would either add white resin lattice over that or as Bos said stain instead of paint..paint does end up peeling and looking horrible in years to come..If you plant pruning group 3's all along that area..you will be glad as you can hard prune to get back there to replace wood or whatever..please share pics..for that will be a magnificent centerpiece in your gardens..I did the same thing and named it my "Miguel Memorial Gardens" and in honor planted them about 6 inches apart and am going to order clematis "Miguel Viso" from Dan next year to add to that area...Jeanne

{{gwi:585531}}
    Of course this was planted much early and should take new pics as it is really taking off...

• unprofessional
    13 years ago

Yeah, I tend to pack them in, and quite like them that way - clematis do a good job of finding enough space for themselves. I have ten on 16' of fencing.

• flowergirl70ks
    13 years ago

Ah Jeanne, so glad you are still here, next to Miguel, you are my guru.

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

It depends on what your aesthetic is, but clematis look better when planted heavily along a fence like that. I did not plant my fence section heavily, which is a little over 24' long. Most of the time it looks scrappy. I am completely redoing it this year.

• michael_in_chicago
    13 years ago

I agree. I have good drainage in my soil, and an area of fence that has no other root competition. I have clematis spaced 12 or so inches apart. So if this were in my soil and I was watering regularly, I would plant about 9 in that space.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much for the feedback. I have moved 7 over there from various locations that needed to be "saved" and there is still a bit of room left on the end, so it looks like I have room for 2 or 3 more with the spacing between that I allowed for the others.

I'm going to stain it, which is what my original plan was, so thanks for confirming that. I'll post pics when things start moving along. Thanks again!

• swontgirl_z5a
    13 years ago

Hi, I would leave the fence alone. I think plants always look better on that old weathered look wood. It doesn't detract from them. And then there's no upkeep later that maybe doesn't fit in with the plants growing on it. I think it will look great with clems growing up it.

• eastautumn
    13 years ago

swontgirl took the words right out of my mouth... I love your fence just the way it is, with the beautiful silver of weathered wood. If I would change anything in that picture it would be your mulch, to something more natural instead of the dyed looking reddish mulch. I guess it's just personal taste though. I agree with those who have suggested planting your clems close together and squeezing in lots of them to really cover the fence. Have fun!

• judyag_44
    13 years ago

Must tell you that I believe staining, painting, etc. would be a mistake. In my mind nothing is as pretty as the clean lines and gorgeous color of a plant against aged wood. And, that wood will never need any upkeep the color it is.
    Soooooooooo, please just leave the fence like it is and plant a multitude of clems to flood it with color!

• eden_in_me
    13 years ago

Any pictures for us yet?

Marie, who also likes close planting

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting