Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanaclaire_gw

What ground covers are good for clematis?

nanaclaire
9 years ago

I have four clematis vines. Previously I had mulch in the beds but I am removing all the mulch and will need a ground cover or low growing plant to protect the roots. What ground covers would be good? I have full sun where these clematis are except for one that is in partial sun. I do have creeping phlox in the bed with all the sun so I could put that there but am interested in other ground covers.

The mulch is being removed because of a horsetail weed. I am amending the soil and putting down some dolomite lime in the beds where two clematis are and other plants (rose bush, hydrangea, shasta daisy, sedum, creeping phlox). Then I add good compost in about 2 weeks. It will take time to rid that weed but it will be stopped because it won't like the environment.

Comments (12)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    9 years ago

There is no ground cover that will get rid of horsetail, and IME it grows in quite a range of conditions, so I doubt that putting down dolomite lime will get rid of it. Spending 5 minutes three times a week (such as while you drink your coffee in the morning) pulling out or dabbing every green sprig of horsetail with relatively concentrated Glysophate (generic Roundup) for all of this year and next should get rid of it, though you will need to stay vigilant after that in case some moves in or sprouts from spores. Don't spray the glysophate so that you don't accidentally get some of your desired plants.

You really need to get rid of the horsetail before you worry about planting anything new. I know that isn't what you want to hear, but it is realistic.

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    9 years ago

Yes, the way I finally got rid of horsetail was to take a paintbrush and a cup of Roundup and carefully paint every sprout of it first thing in the spring. It was a pain in the neck, but very effective.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

I agree that horsetail is extremely adaptable to a wide range of growing conditions. For a plant that's been around since the dinosaurs roamed, adaptability is key. It will grow and flourish in just about any soil type and in any but the most extremes of soil pH. If the pH is radical enough to halt the growth of the horsetails it will certainly limit anything else. IOW, the lime will not have any effect.

I also agree that removal of as much as possible before any ornamental planting is key. Triclopyr seems to have more control efficiency on horsetails than does glyphosate but again, paint on directly in preference to spraying. And routine pulling/removal of ANY growth of 6 inches or more will effectively weaken the plant in time and can create the most permanent control.

These are among the hardest of any common garden weeds to eradicate. There is no easy fix. It takes time and patience. And plenty of both :-))

• nanaclaire
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I do not want the ground cover to get rid of horsetail weed. I want it to protect the clematis because all of the mulch and plastic that was put down has been removed so there is nothing there now protecting the clematis.

I have also read that pulling the weed will create more of the weed because of the spores in the ground. It is a temporary fix to pull the weed and have read that in time it will return. I am trying the dolomite lime first before I do anything radical as in removing all the plants that are there.

We believe it came in with a plant that I purchased a couple years ago. Nobody else in our neighborhood has this weed.

I just wanted to know what ground covers would be good for the clematis. I decided to buy a ground cover that is good with sun and will be planting that. I have yet to test the soil. This is something I have never done; my first time. It will be interesting to find out what it says.

Here is a link that might be useful: How To Rid Horsetail Weed

• Debra Vessels
    9 years ago

nanaclaire, I have alot of dragons blood sedum in my clematis bed, it does well in part shade and better in more sun. I love all of the sedum ground covers. I also have Veronica "Tida Pool" planted and it does well in sun or part shade. It spread to 24" the first year I planted it. I usually have a ground cover directly in front of my clematis and a larger up to 18" perennial about 18" in front of the clematis. This works very well in my beds. Good luck with your horsetail weed..

• nanaclaire
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I bought some sedum so will plant that there after I put the lime down. I already purchased the lime and had to drive several miles to get it since it was hard to find the dolomite lime. I don't plan on amending the soil to the point it will kill my other plants. I'm testing it first. I already took out the raised beds (wooden). I wonder if our climate here makes a difference and our soil is clay soil. We are in zone 6 according to gardenweb's chart but I really think it is zone 5 because it was changed over the last few years from 5 to 6. Like I said, I have read both ways of doing this and just seems to me that amending the soil is the better way but we'll see. Once I take a test, I should know whether or not the soil needs amending. My plants (as you see in the picture) are growing very well and tall and green. When my rose bush takes off, it will have flower upon flower like last year. I can already tell b/c it is already budding.

If amending the soil isn't going to work, I will work on digging that horsetail out ...it will be easier now that there is no mulch, plastic or boxes in the way (it was growing inbetween the boxes along with grass).

The problem is that horsetail is even growing under the house (we are in a mobile home) and peeks out under or between the skirting.

Thanks for all your help/suggestions.

• HU-623736027
    3 years ago

does moss phlox work at the base of clematis?

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    3 years ago

Moss phlox will be OK.

Veronica Georgia Blue will work.

Several of the perennial Geraniums will work.

• totoro z7b Md
    3 years ago

How about ajuga? It forms a dense carpet

• HU-623736027
    3 years ago

thanks for your help!!

• buyorsell888
    3 years ago

You don't need ground cover to "protect" your Clematis. They do like mulch.