Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning HF Young post-blooming

Posted by dublinbay z6 KS (My Page) on
Mon, May 10, 10 at 9:15

My HF Young is just finishing its lovely blooming--lots and lots of blooms on a vigorous plant that is several years old.

My question is about re-blooming--which hasn't been very strong on my plant in the past. Should I be trimming off those little silky hairy center things (sorry--can't remember what they are called) that remain after the bloom is gone? Somewhere I read trimming them off helps with the rebloom, but I rather like them, and besides I thought the re-bloom would be on new growth, not on the old growth that has already bloomed this season.

Thanks for any advice.

Kate

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning HF Young post-blooming

Kate...nice to see ya..and knowing you are a rose lover..YES!!..Prune off those silky hairy thingys called "Seedheads"..just like you do on your roses hon remove them..so your vine will focus on producing more vines and more blooms for your late Summer/early Fall blooms Your "H.F.Young" is a pruning group 2 which means it will bloom again..on both the old and new vines..don't forget to fertilize again since your bloom cycle is done ...Jeanne
ps..did I ever tell you because of you..I bought and planted climbing rosa "DublinBay"??..And it is one of my fav roses..thanks again for introducing me to such a wonderful rose...I have clematis "TieDye" planted with her!!

o

I like the seedheads too. I often don't deadhead them but then I don't get anymore bloom except on Daniel Deronda who does not seem to care.

I do not have HF Young but most Clematis seedheads are pretty.

o

Ok, Jeanne, I'll deadhead like I do my roses. This clematis is old enough now that it should start giving me a nice second show finally.

And thanks for the reminder to feed it, post-bloom. I had not even gotten around to thinking about that.

So glad you like your Dublin Bay. It is, indeed, a fine red climber. Tie-dye with it sounds terrific. I put a vitacella (alba something or other) with mine, but so far, the very sharp thorns on Dublin Bay tend to slice up the much more delicate clematis. But, eternally hopeful, maybe this year it will all work out the way it is supposed to. LOL

Kate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here