Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edweather

Are these planting instructions ok?

Hi, I bought my wife a fairly large, 1.8 gal, Kingfisher Clematis for Mother's Day. These are the planting instructions:

-Stand the pot in a container of water for 20 min before planting.

-Dig a hole 18"x18". Fork the bottom and sides to loosen up the earth. Add a layer of well rotted manure or garden compost.

-Mix compost with general fertilizer with top soil for backfill.

-Remove the pot, stand the plant in the hole making sure that the top of the root ball is 2 1/2" below soil level.

-Put the remaining soil around the root ball, firming down to avoid air spaces. Do not allow the plant to dry out for at least the first growing season.

-Clematis like their roots shaded, plant other shallow rooted plants such as annuals or perennials to achieve this. The End.

The spot I plan to plant this is in a half sun, half shade area. Is that ok also?

I grow mostly vegetables, and am kind of new to growing other things. The reason I'm asking about the planting instructions is because I've seen planting instructions in the past that are more likely to kill a plant than make it thrive. So I figured I'd check with those who actually know how to grow them. I appreciate your feedback. Thanks in advance. Ed

Comments (7)

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Except for the misguided advice to shade the roots those instructions are great. Clematis do require big amended planting holes and to be planted deeper than they are in the nursery pot. I plant deeper than 2.5 inches.

I've never grown Kingfisher but some of my similarly colored Clems fade badly in full sun and some don't.

Kingfisher is a shorter Evison cultivar that should be a good bloomer once it gets established. All Clems take several years to establish. Evison is top breeder in the UK.

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, thanks. So, deep amended planting hole it is. I hope my location is ok. It definitely will get some sun......like I said, about half. Thanks again. Ed

• posieh
    11 years ago

I've understood that Clematis do like cool roots. I would do a Goodle search on how to grow.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

No need to search any further than he already has :-) Those planting instructions are remarkably good for your run of the mill nursery instructions.

One of the myths about growing clems is the so-called "cool root" requirement. What they really require is an evenly moist root run and often over what is a rather large root run considering the size of the plant. While that is often accomplished by shading and therefore cooling the roots - a shaded area is less likely to lose soil moisture by evaporation - it is by no means a requirement. A good moisture retentive soil or even a decent much is all that is required.

I grow a number of clematis in containers, none of which are in shade. And I also used to work for one of the largest clematis wholesalers in the country with acres of potted clematis out in full on, day long sun with no chance of a "cool root run". But they do get watered routinely, often several times a day in midsummer.

• edweather USDA 9a, HZ 9, Sunset 28
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info gardengal48.

• ditas
    11 years ago

Glad to run into this thread ~ (have several Clems for many years) am now just learning more about successfully maintaining as well as am adding a few more Clems! Have 4 new & repotted into 3.5gal nursery containers for now as I study best sites. 3 from 2011 still in pots (overwintered protected outdoors) have grown & promptly crawled on fence & bloomed. Asao new last Apr is now just taking off & forming buds.

My ?? Gardengal148 ~ Pink Chiffon & Comtesse de Bouchaud can stay pemanently in the sites they are now ~ when & how can I safely set them in the ground w/o disturbing their happy situations?

How I'd love to keep a couple in containers but our Winters can often be trying unlike your PNW ideal zone! I have a gand's outgrown outdoor playpen I've used as temporary overwintering cage w/ added protections, for Hydrangeas & now Clems. I wonder if Clems will survive a more permanent situation in this manner?

Appretiate your thoughts!!!

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Most Clems are hardy to zone 4 in the ground.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES