Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda1270

Galore and Bonanza Clematis

LindaMA
15 years ago

I am so suprised at how well these two Clems have been growing for me, Galore is already almost 5 feet tall and Bonanza is close behind. I purchased them last fall for $5.99 from Koi Gardens and didn't think I would see much activity from them this year. If they're growing this well, are the chances good that I'll see blooms this summer?

All the Clems I purchased, the ones that made it through the winter, are growing rapidly, Rooguchi, Hagleys Hybrid and Abundance are all getting pretty tall and we've had a cool spring so far.

I'm also pretty sure that I have two buds on my Silver Moon Clematis, it's not nearly as tall as the other Clems but it's doing well. Is anyone else growing Silver Moon? Is it an early bloomer? They're larger the the leaf buds so I'm hoping that I'll see blooms on them soon. Warm weather is supposed to be arriving over the long holiday weekend so that might give them a kick.

I'm so excited, I love this time of year.

Linda

Comments (21)

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Congrats on your two clematis Linda. I almost purchased both of them last year but held off. Perhaps this fall.

One thing to consider with these smaller clematis is that they should be pinched back this season to help make them bushier and more compact, with more vines coming from the crown. This will also allow the plants to concentrate on root development instead of top growth since an imbalance of roots to top growth can cause the plant to wilt back just as easily as wilt caused by fungus. I know that it is often difficult for people eagerly excited by their clematis and all the exuberant growth to hear, but in the long run your clematis will be better off for the pruning. What I have been doing with Huldine that I got from Koi Gardens is pinching the growing points out after the stems get three sets of leaves on them. Then as the axial buds break and start growing out at the leaf nodes, pinching the new stems off after they have 3 or so sets of leaves.

• LindaMA
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was considering doing that, I pinched my Prince Charles back a little because I accidently broke a piece off the top while trying to tie it to a stake. Will this keep them from totally blooming this year or would I still get a few blooms? I am so excited about seeing blooms but I know that it will be for the better if I do this now. Can I wait and pinch them back after they bloom or does it have to be now.

Linda

• violetta1976
    15 years ago

I got a few from Koi Gardens last fall (Dr. Ruppel, Venosa Violacea, and Inspiration) that are all starting to show buds. My three Palette that I got early last summer are showing buds, too, which they didn't do last year at all. I pinched everything back a couple of times already, and now that they're showing buds I really don't want to do it again, but they are getting awfully tall and leggy and it's so early in the season... Miguel, what do you think? I don't mind terribly them being leggy, and it would be nice to see blooms...

• LindaMA
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, I just went out and pinched two of mine back, Betty Corning and Venosa Violacea, but I'm not sure I did it correctly. The long stem growing straight up, I pinched it back right in the middle where the two smaller branches come out, is this the right way and how far down should I pinch them?

Violetta, I know what you mean, it's really hard. I figure, I'll pinch back a few this year but not all of them, I would like to see a couple bloom. The ones I don't pinch back this year, I'll make sure to prune well and pinch them back in the fall or next spring, whichever is better.

I just want to make sure I'm doing it correctly before I do any more of them. The two I just pinched had one long single stem and very leggy. I have some that have multiple stems, I will leave those this year to see if they bloom.

I just want to do what's best for them in the long run. I don't mind a couple being leggy for now...*BS*

Linda

• butterclem
    15 years ago

I echo the sentiment that Bonanza may really be a bonanza. I planted mine (from Brushwood) last fall, so I'm pinching it back as fast as I can. But it still looks really robust. I think that of the six clematises I'm nursing through their first year so I won't see anything glorious this year, Bonanza is by far the most promising looking one at this point, though they all look good.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Linda and Violetta, pinching back clematis is never a bad thing. Violetta, I am surprised that if you have pinched them back several times already that they are getting tall and leggy. If you pinch at a node, then you ought to be getting two new branches coming off just below where you pinched back at the node. If you let the two side branches grow out and get several leaves on them and then pinch the growing tips out, you would get two more branches at the node so you shouldn't have a leggy looking plant.

Here are some pictures I posted a few years ago showing what I mean.

Here is a picture where two shoots are coming up from the ground and I am pinching out the growing tip on the stem on the left.
    {{gwi:576463}}

Here is a picture after the pinch.
    {{gwi:576462}}

Pinching like this will cause two dormant buds to break on either side of the stem right where the existing two branches are. Allow the new branches to come out and get 3 to 5 leaves and then pinch the growing tip out and you will have four vines where before you had one.

After those two pinches, which should have been done relatively early in the season, then you could leave the plants alone or continue to pinch periodically. As to whether or not you will get blooms, it depends on several factors including the pruning type, how long you continue pinching out growing tips, and how long your growing season is.

Hope this answers the questions. If not ask again and I will try to clarify anything that is still confusing.

• LindaMA
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay, yes I understand and that's about where I pinched, only a little below that, right where the joints all connect. You pinched about a quarter of an inch above where I did. Hope I didn't pinch too low! Your stems in the picture are a little thicker then mine are too but the idea is right. I didn't pinch as low as you did on the plant either, maybe I should go down a little lower, would it make a difference?

Thank you for the photo with explanations Miquel, this helps out a lot.

Linda

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Linda, the thickness of the stems is determined by the age of the plants. Those plants are ones that have been in the ground about 5 years. Younger plants will have thinner stems exiting the ground.

As long as you didn't pinch out the dormant nodes, then you should be all right. Pinching lower will just give you more branches lower to the ground. If your plants are type III, then you can do this each year when the plants first start growing in the spring.

• violetta1976
    15 years ago

Miguel - Venosa Violacea and Inspiration are really the only ones getting leggy, now that I think about it... the others are bushy enough I suppose. The last time I pinched back was a couple of weeks ago, but it may have been less, I really don't remember. Maybe it just hasn't been enough time for the dormant buds to have broken out?

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Violetta, if you pinch them, they will sprout! LOL Haven't you all been having really crazy weather out in the PNW with cold temps followed by extremely hot weather? Let the plants get back into the swing of things with normal weather and I am sure you will see the axial buds start breaking. As Jeanne and I have both said at one time or another, Patience grasshopper!

• jeanne_texas
    15 years ago

Yeah Grasshopper..How come your zone 8 allows you to grow stuff that my zone 8 doesn't??..Grrrr..I want to grow Peonys!!...Jeanne

• pacnwgrdngirl
    15 years ago

Jeanne , I have 4 peonies just ready to pop! We are zone 8 but way up North. I also have lilacs blooming now too. I'm right by the water so I don't get as cold as inland.

nckvilledudes, we have been having really bizarre weather here.

I just went out and pinched my Garlore. I planted mine last Fall from Koi and it is doing great. It is planted with my Alchymist Rose which is getting ready to bloom. :o)

• butterclem
    15 years ago

Miguel, I'd like to look at your pinching demo to make sure I've been doing it right for the past 18 months! As you know, I can't see the images on the forum. I usually do fine going directly to your Photobucket. But I'm mystified this time. Are these images 006, 001, 002 and 005? If so, I need new glasses! I don't have a clue what I'm seeing.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Butterclem, the pictures are in my clematis2006 album on page 8 near the bottom. I have several pictures there but I posted the pictures labeled pinchingclematis001 and pinchingclematis002.

• butterclem
    15 years ago

Miguel, I've been over-pinching, I fear. I'm taking out that growing tip the minute it's pinchable, whereas you are actually letting it go and create another branch, and then you pinch it. I'll try to relax.

• robiniaquest
    15 years ago

I share the enthusiasm for Galore. I don't know if you've seen blooms yet, but it is just so strikingly pretty - very dark and spidery looking. I'm tempted to take out my Polish Spirit and replace it with another Galore.

I do grow Silver Moon, and love the unique coloration. Mine has not been a strong grower, but it is in fairly heavy shade. Probably should move it to see if it does better elsewhere.

• eden_in_me
    15 years ago

Of the thirty four I got from Koi last August & September, the ones that survived are doing fabulously. Most have 4 to 6 stems coming up. I don't think I'll need to do much pinching, but i do expect to do a bit of pruning after they flower & are planted directly in the ground.

I got Bonanza & Vesuvius (aka Galore) in 2 gallon pots at Hummingbird in 06 and V got a lot bigger than B, which didn't flower at all in 07 but did late in 06. But V is in a sunnier spot, so that might have something to do with it.

Marie

• jeanne_texas
    15 years ago

Clematis "Galore" is such a treat..I usually get about 3 bloom season from him per growing season...I am already SURE I'll have to get a taller obelisk..LOL..Jeanne

{{gwi:582687}}

• pacnwgrdngirl
    15 years ago

Thanks for the preview Jeanne! Can't wait for mine to get that big.

Now you can't post such a pretty rose as well and not tell us what it is!

• jeanne_texas
    15 years ago

Thanks hon..that is climbing rosa "DublinBay"...Jeanne

• janetpetiole
    15 years ago

Linda, how is Galore doing?

Silver Star Vinery is having a buy 3 get the 4th free. I need a 4th and was thinking about Galore because it is sounds to be robust. The description states "Give it plenty of room."

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor