Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
millieon

Something is cutting the stems on my clematis

millieon
13 years ago

Hi,

Anyone had any problems with young stems on clematis. I pruned all of my clematis very severely which was a mistake as now something is cutting off the new growth on them not all but most of them. Jackmanii seems to have survived. Have put some pellets around which keep disappearing but stems are still being cut off.

How long is this going to last?

Any suggestions of how to solve this?

Thanks.

Comments (15)

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

Sounds like earwigs. Go out tonight with a flashlight, you'll probably see those ugly buggers.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Pruning them is never a mistake. It will be beneficial.

Sluggo Plus is labeled for earwigs. They have plagued me in the past.

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

Why don't they plague you now?

• maggiepie_gw
    13 years ago

Cutworms are doing the same thing to some of mine.
    Grrrrrrrr!!

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

Oh, that's depressing. I don't think that is earwig damage.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

No, that looks like something bigger than an earwig but it will come back.

I've been using Sluggo Plus for a couple years now and have reduced earwig populations in my garden. Now, to reduce root weevil populations....

• river_crossroads z8b Central Louisiana
    13 years ago

Maggiepie, I don't know if this works for cutworms but I want to try it:

"To keep cut worms from cutting off individual plants simply push a small stick a couple of inches down on each side of the plant stem. a cutworm eats around the stem and this will prevent them from doing any harm to the plant. I have never lot a plant of any kind to a cutworm since using this method"

Quoted in GW Vines Forum, for quote see post near bottom of page:
    http://www.dirtdoctor.com

Link to post & thread below. It's ok, isn't it, to quote here as long as I give ref? I'm a newbie so please help me GW netiquette. (I'm still struggling with my baby clems & really appreciate the help that I get here.)
    JMG sprouts problem/help

• mnwsgal
    13 years ago

It could be rabbits or deer. I had many stems cut off last year about 6-8 inches from the base of the plant. Hate it when the vine is about to bloom and then wilts because it was cut off. I put fencing around the lower parts of the plants and haven't had any damage this year. With the early spring there has been very little rabbit/deer damage even though I have seen rabbits about.

The plant should put out new growth from the crown.

• summermusicz4ia
    13 years ago

Several years ago a friend had a huge, established clem turn brown, found rabbits had chewed off all the stems! That's when I headed for the home improvement store to buy several rolls of green vinyl-covered chicken wire. We have all our clems fenced now, about 12" high.

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    13 years ago

Yes, I had to fence most of mine at the base, too. You don't see the fencing after they start to grow.

• millieon
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's not rabbits as I have seen any around here. It could rodents of somekind even voles/moles as we all had grass damage from them over the winter. New construction is going on around here.

This morning I transplated some chives around the clematis, garlic would have been better but don't have any. Next step will be mouse traps with butter and then maybe will have to fence them all in and hope for the best.

Thanks for all of the responses.

• maggiepie_gw
    13 years ago

Thanks river crossroads, have heard of putting collars around plants but not the stick method. Can't hurt to try it.
    Usually after finding a new shoot lying on the ground you can often find the grub by digging around in the area. I usually carry an old pair of scissors and snip them in half.
    Bit messy but very satisfactory!!

• millieon
    Original Author
    13 years ago

...just to let you know this morning I saw a baby rabbit running around so he could be the culprit

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

A chicken wire collar around the base of the plant should protect from rabbits.