Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black stems near the roots. Cause?

Posted by pump_toad z4 iowa (My Page) on
Mon, May 31, 10 at 11:19

I have been looking for a EM clematis to pair with my VV but the only one I found had black stems near the roots and some of the leaves were yellow. The upper portion of the stem was okay. It was in a gallon pot but I didn't buy it since I was not sure what was going on.
Lois

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black stems near the roots. Cause?

Stems on young plants - like those most often found in nurseries - are extremely fragile and can be damaged or broken easily, often in shipping/transport or just with normal handling. Without a photo to persuade me otherwise, I'd guess this was the problem.

Purchasing a damaged vine would not be my first choice but it is not an insurmountable problem. The deep planting and the heavy pruning recommended for the first couple of seasons encourages additional or replacement stemming from the root crown.

And as an aside, I find the abbreviating of clems to just the first couple of initials unnecessarily confusing - I have no idea what EM or VV means with respect to the literally hundreds of cultivars on the market without taking extra time to think about it and I am considered pretty knowledgeable regarding these plants - what this may mean to a newbie I can only imagine! Could we please spell out cultivar names if the reference is required?

o
RE: Black stems near the roots. Cause?

Thank you for the information and your advise. Actually, I do agree with you on using initials as is not the best way to describe. I'll admit I was in a hurry and tried a shortcut.
The clematis I was trying to describe were Venosa Violacea and Ernest Markham.The Ernest Markham was the one with this problem but I will look at it again. The fellow in charge offered a discount so I might take a chance.
Lois

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here