Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Belle of Woking not blooming

Posted by annakins4 Zone 4 (My Page) on
Sun, May 15, 11 at 11:23

I have 2 Belle of Woking in different areas of my garden for 4 years now. Lots of shoots- no blooms. They are both paired with shrub roses that I planted at the same time as the clematis. The roses have bloomed wonderfully. Soil is probably more acid due to clay, but I have taken most of the clay out and added good soil, compost, and manure. There are 3 other clematis in the same area as these 2 and have never had a problem blooming. I guess what I'm wondering is if Belle of Woking is slow to get started or am I doing something wrong.I would like to see some blooms this year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Belle of Woking not blooming

Belle of Woking is a type 2 clematis and blooms will form off of old wood, I'm wondering if perhaps you cut it back this spring. If not then it could just be the cold and wet spring we've had so far. I know that my Proteus is a little slow with the lack of sunshine we've had. I looked Belle of Woking up on the COTW and it says that she should bloom May, June and a second blooming in September. I'm sure you will see some buds and blooms this summer, may just have to wait a bit longer is all.

Tracy

Here is a link that might be useful: COTW

o

And it is still early in your zone 4

o

I don't have B of W, but I do live in a similarly cold zone. One of the issues with my type 2's (I have Niobe, Guernsey Cream, Daniel Deronda, The President, and HF Young as my only type 2's) is that often winter prunes them to ground level so they don't get the really early flush of blooms that many folks in warmer climates get. This year, Daniel D and G. Cream are the only ones that retained old wood, so they will bloom in the next few weeks, while the others may not bloom until summer. I have not yet gotten a second flush of blooms on any of them - I think my growing season is just too short. Depending on how fast your soil warms up and how short your growing season is, you may have some of the same issues with the type 2 pruners that I have. I mostly grow type 1 (Attragene group, which are just starting to bloom now) and type 3, which do best pruned hard each winter.

o
an addition

I forgot to add that my Attragenes don't seem to have the winter die back issues that the type 2 large-flowered hybrids have.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here