Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
And The Fourth Year They Make You Say Holy Bleep!

Posted by harryshoe z6easternPA (My Page) on
Thu, May 7, 09 at 11:31

My two Betty Cornings reached 5' on April 30th of their 4th season. She was 6' yesterday after 6 consecutive days of rain. Each plant has about 8 growing vines. It looks almost frightening.

I think I'm gonna need a bigger arbor.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: And The Fourth Year They Make You Say Holy Bleep!

This will be my third year for Betty and I'm excited but slightly scared as well. She reached the top of the trellis (9')in the first year but wasn't thick. Last year was much fuller. This year could be scary. LOL :)

o

Mine began very small when sent by Completely Clematis. Years 1 and 2 gave little warning of what was to come. Last year she became substantial.

This year I'm gonna need a chair and a whip.

o

Wow, I could have been in this boat but the Betty I bought 2 years ago was mislabled. I'll remember this when I do get one.

o

Harry..I remember when you were researching clematis years ago and to think..it's been 4 years?..WOW...congrats...Hey where's the pic...Jeanne

o

Do you ever get a little a scared when you walk by one, or just look over your shoulder a little uneasily...

:)

Sue

o

Sue,

Right now it kind of reminds me of a giant squid, swimming straight down. Or maybe a jellyfish. Long tendrils trailing behind. I will be less frightened when it leafs out more or I spread the canes latterly.

Maybe I watch the SciFi channel too much.

o

I have a rose that should be checked if I ever disappear.

:)

I watch too much tv, too.

Sue

o

I'm so excited to read this because I just planted 2 on one side of my porch (to grow up the rails), and hope to plant to more on the other side this year. I'm so looking forward to when they really take off!! I would love to see some pictures if you have any.

o

almondstriations, are you near Denver? If so, O'Tooles on Wadsworth up north just got a huge amount of 1 gallon gorgeous clematis that are blooming so you can that they are correctly labeled. I wish I had more room - they had Anna-Louise, Bourbon, Comtesse de Bouchaud, Franziska Maria, harlow carr, Ice Blue, Josephine, Rosemoor, Victor Hugo, Vino, wisley and other I don't rememer. On sale for $9.

o

Thanks for the tip! I'm up in Erie, but I have a sister in Denver so I'm down there pretty regularly. I've never been to O'Tooles but will have to swing by this week. I have Comtesse de Bouchaud and will look into the others you mentioned since I'm not familiar with most of them yet (though the names sound familiar from reading this forum). I still have 5 more from the Koi order to get in the ground though (and an active toddler keeping me from doing much planting) so I'd better not go too crazy... Thanks again for letting me know!

o

Harlow Carr is a non climber so you can stick her in between shrubs or perennials instead of trying to worry about a trellis.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here