Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
house_first_timer

Clematis 'Polish Spirit' under a tree

house_first_timer
13 years ago

I have this polish spirit under our tree for almost 2 years now. I haven't seen it flowering, is it because it doesn't get enough sun light? It has put out lots of leaves though.

I'm thinking of moving it to a sunny spot where I can see it bloom.

Comments (14)

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Clematis in general are full sun plants. Lack of bloom can be lack of sun.

• house_first_timer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

buyorsell888,

Thanks again for your help. Looks like my only option is to move it to a sunny spot.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Or to train it up into the tree so it can reach the sun that way

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    13 years ago

It took my Polish Spirit 3 years to bloom, so maybe yours just needs another year in order to "leap."

Yes, clems like sun--but I'm sure I've read somewhere that Polish Spirit does all right in part shade also.

Kate

• eden_in_me
    13 years ago

My PS has been even slower. I had planted a baby sized one so it could grow up into a huge Lilac clump, but after several years of struggling I thought the problem might be root competition so I dug it out & put it in a tub in the same place, where it gets afternoon sun. The vines took off like a shot, but still no flowers. Finally had a few blooms last year. Vines growing strong this year, so I have hopes for a decent show this year.

Marie

• house_first_timer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

dublinbay & eden_in_me,

Thanks for your feedback. My polish spirit has put out lots of vines and leaves but still no flower. The leaves are kinda small so I'm guessing may be it's not enough light. I also read somewhere that it might do just fine in shade, that's why I planted it underneath the tree.

I'm in dilemma now as I'm not sure if I should move it or leave it but I hate to see a clematis that doesn't bloom :)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    13 years ago

I'm sure you know the truism about clems: the first year they "sleep"; the second year they "creep"; the third year they "leap."

Since yours is just coming up on its third year, I'd wait and see what it does this year. There should be a noticeable difference this year. If not, then go ahead and move it.

I'm in Zone 6 and my clems are just beginning to bloom this week, so I assume it might be a few more weeks before yours start blooming.

Good luck.

Kate

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    13 years ago

I'm sure you know the truism about clems: the first year they "sleep"; the second year they "creep"; the third year they "leap."

Since yours is just coming up on its third year, I'd wait and see what it does this year. There should be a noticeable difference this year. If not, then go ahead and move it.

I'm in Zone 6 and my clems are just beginning to bloom this week, so I assume it might be a few more weeks before yours start blooming.

Good luck.

Kate

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

My Polish Spirit is just starting to set flower buds.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

My Polish Spirit has no buds yet and it does have small leaves.

Different Clems have different leaf sizes and shapes.

• house_first_timer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok. I will leave it at its spot for now :) If it's still not flowering by end of fall, I'm moving it for sure.

• julieiwuc
    13 years ago

My PS has some buds. Can't wait for it to bloom. What do you think of planting another color group 3 clem with it, like Carmencita, or Huldine, or Cardinal Wycinski?

• unbiddenn
    13 years ago

I am also zone 5 with Polish Spirit about 3 feet from the base of a large Red Maple. It gets a fair amount of dappled sun though, because it is on the south side of the tree. It blooms and is larger this year than ever, though no buds yet that I can see. Some of my clems have fat buds already, some dont, and one just popped out of the ground (plans on moving that one...).

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

Julie, last year I planted Blue Angel with Polish Spirit. BA is doing the typical 2nd year thing, so I probably won't see the full effect this year.