Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janegael

Are Clematis Roots Supposed to be Just Under the Soil?

JaneGael
14 years ago

I'm working on a small bed with one clematis that's about 3 years old and have found a mass of roots that splay out that are yellowish brown, which seems to be the color of clematis roots I've seen in my Google search. They have some "lumps" on them and are relatively thick compared to the other roots I'm cleaning out.

I'm leaving them for now, but thought that clematis rooted deeply. I was surprised to find these about 4-6" under the soil.

Comments (8)

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

I hope you aren't referring to the "Crown" showing?..Clematis should be planted 2-4 inches deeper than the pot you buy them in..(I like to make sure the first leaf axil is under soil because that will root as well making a stronger plant) this will ensure not only they stay more moist being deeper but will make stronger roots...I would add more soil to that area if it was me..Jeanne

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis roots

• JaneGael
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I thought I planted it deeply enough when I put it in. It's at the back of the small bed with space for annuals. But digging in to plant some I found this network of roots that look like what I can find (not much) in pictures.

It's doing extremely well and has really taken off, so its happy. I just thought the roots on these guys went down and not outwards for a foot or more.

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    14 years ago

That sounds to me like daylily roots. They have lumps on them and are about the same color as clematis roots. Are there any daylilies nearby?

• pump_toad
    14 years ago

In reference to to the above post. Is there a problem if a clematis is planted close to daylilies? Am thinking about planting one near a large daylily plant.
    Lois

• JaneGael
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Nope, no day lillies anywhere near. The clematis is planted at the back of a small semi-circular bed and the roots appear to have fanned out just under the soil in the bed area. I dug behind the clematis to expand the bed and didn't find any roots like this, only in the front in the fertile soil. I traced them back and they appear to be from the clematis.

It must have deep roots as well since it doesn't wilt when the soil dries out. It's just that this is the first year I've seen this fan of thick golden roots and am bewildered by them. I always thought clematis roots went down deeply on their own, this plant appears to have decided to cover all its bases. I'm scared to death I'll damage it if I put in annuals now since I have to move the roots to put them in and they will surely compete.

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

I noticed the same thing the other day. The mulch was matted down so I was fluffing it up. There were clematis roots right under the 2 inch layer of mulch.

• eden_in_me
    14 years ago

When you say "They have some "lumps" on them and are relatively thick compared to the other roots ", I hope you haven't the same situation I had last Summer with Empress.

There are some pictures of her thick, lumpy roots on a posting I made to another forum, and the answer I got from a much more knowledgeable clem grower/breeder. Very bad news.

If your roots look like those, I can give you a bit of an update.

Marie

Here is a link that might be useful: Strange roots on Empress

• JaneGael
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank heaven my roots look nothing like the nematodes in the sick plants. They are just thin in some places and then thicken only to thin out again. I am beginning to think that maybe it's normal for this particular variety.

I have no clue what it is. It's a Lowe's special, no-name half dead, but the broken off sign in it said that it is small and I wanted a small plant. She's done very well with stunning purple flowers that grow on old wood. She is taller than was promised and I need to figure out how to extend a wrought iron trellis because she's wadding up at the top.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor