Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nckvilledudes

Today's Blooms

nckvilledudes
15 years ago

While taking pictures for another post, I noticed that several plants had blooms that I had not noticed before. Viola is cavorting with Betty Corning.

{{gwi:587002}}

{{gwi:587003}}

Princess Diana is out with a few flowers and buds.

{{gwi:587004}}

Fascination is up.

{{gwi:587006}}

Romantika or Black Night is open. The two are planted too close together for me to tell them apart until they are both in bloom.

{{gwi:587007}}

In 2006,I purchased something from a seller on eBay and I have Viennetta written in my spreadsheet but now that I think about it, I thought I had purchased Cassis. The small plant has just been vegetating since the purchase but is budding up and here is the first bloom that is partially opened. It looks like Cassis to me. Guess time will tell.

{{gwi:587009}}

Comments (16)

• jeanne_texas
    15 years ago

Beautiful..Nice to see Clematis "Viola"..I just planted her this Spring...Jeanne

• flowerfan2
    15 years ago

Very nice photo's. I like your Viola and BC combo. That's a nice contrast in form and color. You are so much farther along than up here in the PNW. We had a very cold spring and my type 2 are just starting to bloom. I don't even have buds on my 3's yet. Here are a few of my type 2 that are blooming.

Miss Bateman
    {{gwi:587010}}

Asao blooms just opening.

{{gwi:587011}}

Wada's Primrose
    {{gwi:587012}}

A Nelly Moser seedling. It is nothing unusual, but it doesn't fade in sunlight which is nice.
    {{gwi:587013}}

Karen

• LindaMA
    15 years ago

I love the flowers on Princess Diana, they look like little tulips, does she bloom well for you?

Linda

• nckvilledudes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Glad all liked the pictures.

Karen, in addition to Betty Corning and Viola, there is a Warsaw Nike coplanted there also. Roko Kolla was also there at one time, but he couldn't compete with the other more vigorous clematis. Funny but we have had a much cooler and wetter spring than we normally have here this season. It is expected to heat up Memorial day weekend and day with temps in the mid 80s. It has been in the 50's here in the mornings and low to mid 70s the rest of the time.

Linda, in my garden Princess Diana does not bloom anywhere as vigorously as does Duchess of Albany which is the same flower shape but just pinker than PD. Some people have PD and in their garden she performs just as well as DofA.

Some more blooms that I overlooked yesterday. Cassis or whatever she is has opened up more today.

{{gwi:587014}}

Durandii is budded up.
    {{gwi:587016}}

Alionushka has finally begun to bloom.
    {{gwi:587017}}

Pamiat Serdtsa along with the crowd out front.
    {{gwi:587018}}

Etoile Violette has begun in the redbud out front.
    {{gwi:587019}}

Both pictured previously, Rooguchi and crispa, but both still flowering away.
    {{gwi:587020}}
    {{gwi:587021}}

Okay not clematis but I just thought I would throw it in anyway.
    {{gwi:587022}}

• patsylr1
    15 years ago

Hi Miguel
    Beautiful blooms - mine are just starting here. Just wanted to let you know that is definitely Cassis. Here's a picture of mine from last summer :
    {{gwi:587023}}
    I took a chance and planted it in the ground and so far it has survived 2 winters. Very slow to return this spring though.

• carolfm
    15 years ago

Hey Miguel, everything is looking lush and beautiful in your garden! Do you find Fascination to be fragrant? I've heard conflicting reports about the fragrance or lack thereof. Rooguchi is one of my favorites. What is the blue daisy looking thing in the last photo? I'm still waiting on my Durandii to bloom here. More photo's please.

Carol

• nckvilledudes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Patsy. Glad to know that I have what I think I had! Don't you just love the blooms on Cassis?

Can't remember if I have ever smelled the flowers of Fascination to tell Carol. Ran outside and picked one of the blooms and it does have a faint jasminey fragrance. Nothing you would smell from afar but nice up close. Even if it didn't have a fragrance, the bloom form is just exquisite to me! Sorry for the fuzzy pictures but I used the older camera that doesn't have a closeup macro.

{{gwi:587025}}

{{gwi:587027}}

The blue flower in the picture is Nigella. I classify it and rose campion as rampant reseeders in my garden. They come up everywhere including the yard!

• roseluvr
    15 years ago

Fantastic blooms! They feed my need to plant more clems. ;) Specially love that Princess Diana! She's definitely on my short list now.

• jkunkel
    15 years ago

The clematis's are all beautiful, but that Euphorbia is amazing! Sorry, just had to comment on that -Jessica

• nckvilledudes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jessica, that euphorbia is characias wulfenii and it reseeds itself quite rampantly also. I love the chartreuse colors of the blooms in the spring.
    {{gwi:587029}}
    {{gwi:587031}}

I also have donkeytail spurge or Euphorbia myrsinites which reseeds freely. I just pull up any of the unwanted babies when they end up somewhere I don't want them.
    {{gwi:587032}}

• maggiepie_gw
    15 years ago

Your garden is beautiful Miguel, I wish I could transport that bed with the euphorbias to my backyard, I have just the place for it.
    Are there one or two gardens with the euphorbias?
    I have polychroma and a red one 'Chameleon', and one unidentified one which was given to me last year, it just looks very leggy and lies on the ground, I didn't cut it back last fall.
    My house is built on a mound so we have slopes on 3 sides.
    I think I will be putting characias wulfenii on my list of need to gets.

• threas
    15 years ago

Wow, just beautiful! Those are going on my want list too!

Theresa

• jackie_o
    15 years ago

Miguel your garden is just beautiful! I love your Cassis too! Another one for the list lol.

• nckvilledudes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The euphorbias are in several different beds Helen--the wulfenii and the donkey tail spurge. Don't know how they would ship, but I can always try shipping you some of the seedlings I get every year. As you can see, I believe in more is better in the case of most of my plantings. I like that secret English garden look with more plants crammed into every spot! LOL

Jackie, more blooms are opening up on Cassis. This being the first year it has bloomed, I am surprised as to the number of blooms. Can't wait to see how it looks finally.

• maggiepie_gw
    15 years ago

Miguel, maybe you could grab a few seeds if they self sow easily, would love to have some of each.
    Do you have the polychroma and chameleon?
    I like close planting too, helps keep the weeds out as well as looking great.

Here is a link that might be useful: Euphorbia Chameleon

• nckvilledudes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Have never actually seen the seeds Helen, just the sprouting ones as new plants form.

Don't have either of the two varieties you mention!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations