Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where should I plant 'Frankie?'

Posted by ginnyginny Zone 9 Calif (My Page) on
Fri, May 29, 09 at 12:15

I bought this last summer from Chalk Hill Farms and have yet to plant it. It is full of cute, small purple (blooms were supposed to be blue!) flowers. If any of you have planted it I'd love a suggestion as to what it should grow up through.

Thanks

Ginny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where should I plant 'Frankie?'

FYI
No Clematis is truly blue, some are bluer than others but they are all purple or lavender.

o

Give Frankie 6-8 hours of Morning sun and some shade for your hot evenings...keeping him moist for sure especially in the heat of summertime...Jeanne

o

Will Frankie be ok in an area that only gets 2-3 hours of sun - a bit in the morning and a bit at noon? Of course I want to see those darling flowers.

Also wondering what he grows up best on - another plant or a trellis?

Thanks

Ginny

o

In your zone, only 2-3 hours is probably enough.

o

Clematis like Roses need at Least 6 hours of sun...anything less and they won't perform...Jeanne

o

Several sources state that Frankie can tolerate shade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here