Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help to decide between Polish Spirit, Bonanza or Galore?

Posted by pmermakov z5-6OH (My Page) on
Mon, May 16, 11 at 12:21

Hi, I created a fence of clematis that are all type 3's. So far I have, Rhapsody, Abundance, Prince Charles, Royal Velours, Venosa Violacea, Purpurea Plena Elegans and then I have space for one more. I'm thinking about planting either, Polish Spirit, Bonanza or Galore. Any photos or suggestions are welcome.
I'm also thinking of ordering, Miss Bateman and Allanah to plant in other locations. It has been almost a year since I've gotten hooked on collecting clematis and I'm now have over 50! I can't wait for them to start blooming.
Thanks for the help.
Mercy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help to decide between Polish Spirit, Bonanza or Galore?

I would choose a non-purple variety given the ones you already have there. All but Abundance are purple/blue (though VV also has white). How about another pink or a white? Viticella/type 3's that would fit this would be:

Mrs. T. Lundell
Margot Koster
Comtesse de Bouchaud
Hagley Hybrid
Tentel
Madame Baron Veillard
Alba Luxurians

If you need to choose one of those three, Vesuvius (Galore) is a great, strong grower, though Polish Spirit is a tried and tested cultivar.

o

Betty Corning is the same color as Prince Charles but has much smaller flowers that are scented. One of my faves.

Minuet and Tango have small variegated flowers

Huldine and Alba Luxurians are nice whites

o

Thanks everyone for your help. I think most of the ones I have on the wall are burgundy red shade. I ended up moving my small Jackmanii to the spot, after going on a clematis shopping trip to the local garden center! I bought Amethyst Beauty and Vienetta, to plant in Jackmanii's old spot. So far, I just moved Jackmanii, but haven't planted the new ones because it doesn't stop raining here in Ohio. Thanks again for the help!

o

Polish Spirit is a huge growing dark purple. Blooms longer for me than Etoile Violette but looks very similar.

o

• Posted by katie Zone 8a NoCA (My Page) on
    Wed, May 18, 11 at 12:36

Last year Galore was a blooming machine for me. It would be my choice.

However in the case of your wall I would add Betty Corning for a blue color, just don't put next to Prince Charles.

Katie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here