Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can they really do well in FULL sun?

Posted by njmomma z6 NJ (My Page) on
Tue, May 4, 10 at 14:00

Someone just posted that they are afraid they may get too much sun in a certain spot. I know different clems can handle different degrees of shade, but I planning on putting Comtesse de Bouchaud and Barbara Harrington in FULL sun on an arbor.

Am I in trouble?

thanks,
Natanya

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can they really do well in FULL sun?

Nj, I think that was me who sait it. When I used to grow Clematis, I had them on the east side of the house and they'd get sun until noon or so, and they did great. I always heard they should get morning sun only.

But since I bought the Ramona, I read several places to give it full sun, which is about 8 hours a day.

o

yes, they can do really well in full sun.

Some colors do fade in full sun but most prefer sun over shade.

Nelly Moser, Hagley Hybrid, Richard Pennell are three that I know fade badly. This does not affect the plant just the blooms.

o

Natanya..Sun amounts,intensity and zone is something that should always be part of the thought process when choosing where to plant clematis. For instance..my zone of 8B in Texas has very hot summers..pruning group 3's adore it..especially my Florida's..but some of my pruning group 2's really do fade or droop if not properly watered..which is HUGELY important down here in Summertime...I have a Sprinkler system which services my front and side gardens but NONE in the back gardens...so soaker hoses and hand watering is a task I perform until I work out getting my new drip system going!!..I have found the Japanese Varieties prefer morning sun and afternoon shade down here..and others get brown-out by August...I have both Clematis "Barbara Harrington" & "Comtesse de Bouchard" and they BOTH adore the tons of sun I am letting them have..so they should flourish just beautifully in your zone 6.I would think your zone must be heaven for clematis...just like the three bear..not too hot and not too cold..but just right!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here