Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redsox_gw

Will this clematis survive?

redsox_gw
13 years ago

I purchased two clematis in early May from a very reputable vendor. Both type 3s. One arrived with gorgeous roots. I planted it right away and it is already growing very well.

The other one did not really have a good root system. Just not a lot of roots there. I planted it anyway and cut it back to the first set of leaves. There was not that much top growth anyway. I notified the vendor that the root system did not look that strong.

So now it has been planted for about three weeks. The set of leaves died off and there has not been any growth visible. This leaves two vines sticking out,which do not necessarily look dead, but I don't know, they could be.

I am hoping that the roots are just growing right now but with my limited experience, I don't know what to expect. Any suggestions?

Comments (6)

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

It is likely it will survive. I would have potted it up before planting it out but many others just plant them no matter how small. The leaves dying back are normal. You want new growth coming up from the ground.

• kentstar
    13 years ago

Just keep it watered well and treat it like it will live fine. It will come back next year as long as you don't injure or do anything to the crown or roots of the plant.

• redsox_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So is it unlikely that it will develop new growth this year?

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

It's early in the season. My guess is you'll see growth. Just don't give up on it if you don't see anything this year. :)

• jeanne_texas
    13 years ago

I have to agree with everyone..Like Janet said it truly 'tis still early in your zone 6..as long as you continue to keep it moist..it should rebound..I had bought clematis "Fleuri" a few months ago and it did the same thing!! I finally took it out of its little pot and saw beautiful roots so I potted it up and am now keeping her moist and probably will plant her into my gardens this coming fall..AFTER she has grown-up some..Rarely do I see pruning group 3's do this but I have..she is so beautiful in the pics I've seen..I sure hope mine survives...keep a positive thought and keep her moist...Jeanne

• valley_man0505
    13 years ago

Last spring, I planted some Bourbons that were about 1-2 feet tall. The roots were not too great on those either. I did not see any growth on any of them after planting them and none of them looked too healthy after a while. In fact, one of them started to wilt and then suddenly broke off (or was chewed off) right at ground level). About 2 weeks later, I noticed some new growth right coming out of the ground from the one that broke off. After another 2 weeks, this new growth actually surpassed the height of the other Bourbons that hadn't broken off--those still weren't growing. In late summer, all of them started breaking at the ground. I went "all in" in the fall and cut every one off at the ground and this spring all of them are taking off like crazy. In fact, the first one that broke off at the ground last year now has it's first bloom and it is the only one blooming. I am new with clematis, but it seems that they kind of regulate themselves and won't grow anything more than what the roots can support and once the roots catch up, then it's off to the races. It just might take a couple seasons to really amount to much--especially in northern zones.