Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njmomma_gw

How to stress out a clematis - follow me :)

njmomma
13 years ago

Step 1 Pot up new babies using top soil, clay soil, manure, fertilizer...

Step 2 Water them in.

Step 3 Notice how the water is not draining and just shrug.

Step 4 Wake up the next day and feel bad about their situation. Go buy some good potting mix.

Step 5 Re-pot all the baby clems AGAIN this time using potting mix and nothing else, with some gravel on the bottom. Water in.

Step 6 Watch them stress out.

:)

~Natanya

Comments (13)

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

You probably figured this out already, but it's never a good idea to use soil in pots. :)

• jeanne_texas
    13 years ago

I've never heard of anyone putting clay in a pot much less garden soil...!

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

I'm sure this isn't the first time someone put garden soil into a pot. :)

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Unfortunately, I've talked to plenty of people who used dirt in pots rather than potting soil. It is a fairly common mistake among those not obsessed with gardening.

Manure and fertilizer both on tiny baby Clems is scary too....

• cohouser
    13 years ago

OMG, no garden soil in pots?! Not even nice amended garden soil? How come?

I overwintered (for the first time) a few clems in sunk pots with garden soil and was thrilled they lived... I guess I should be even more thrilled.

Well, I'm off to perform njmomma's Step 5 on four clemmies I just dug out, found were too small to have been in the ground, and potted up with the incorrect medium. With luck I won't have to experience Step 6.

A very long learning curve with clems, isn't it? But they're worth it!

• njmomma
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm actually a very good gardener and not a beginner, but I almost NEVER pot anything up so I'm a novice container gardener. :) Hey, at least I fixed them before they got drowned.

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

cohouser - most of us have a high content of clay in our soil, which magically turns to muck or concrete when in a pot.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    13 years ago

Your clematis should now be much more happy with their roots in that good potting mix :)

Terry

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Digging disturbs soil structure. Even well draining garden soil can compact and not drain well in pots. Potting soil is a lot less nutritious but it drains well. Unless one uses a junk brand or as I found out the hard way Miracle Gro Moisture Control. I rotted out almost my entire greenhouse.

• ornata
    13 years ago

I quite often add a handful of loam (e.g. screened, bagged topsoil) and a handful of grit sand to a basic lightweight potting mix. It seems to stop the mix drying out too fast and give it some structure. Proportionally my mix will contain more of the free-draining lightweight stuff, of course - just a small amount of loam and grit. Also some slow-release fertiliser.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    13 years ago

Ornata, I also do the same by adding a small portion of good quality loam, this helps adds a bit of weight, substance and nutrients ... otherwise, the potting mixture can often be overly light and anemic and drying out very quickly.

Terry

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I'm lucky to have a really great local brand of potting soil here that needs no help.

• virakech
    13 years ago

I've used garden soil for years. I wouldn't use the clay... and it's from my raised bed I add to for use with veggies. I'll have to keep a look out for too much compactness... hmm. I dig get a clogged hole once and had to drill it out.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!