Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmack52_gw

Clematis vines never survive the winter!?!?

JMack52
11 years ago

For some reason my vines, (clematis and hops) never come back after winter. I'm in a 3a zone. The first time I planted clematis's was a couple years ago in the spring. They thrived all summer and fall, but they didn't come back after winter. That was 2 years ago, and they still have not come back at all. I'm about to dig them up and try again, but don't want to waste my money to have the same effect. Last spring I planted a single hops vine in very well drained soil and it did excellent all summer - it even produced an abundance of hops. Now, as of May 12, there is no sign of life to it whatsoever. I don't mind if my plants die, as long as I know what I did wrong, but I have no idea what I'm doing with vines.....they never last more than a single growing season. They always do very well the year that I plant them, so I don't think it's soil conditions, but I'm looking for any and all advice.

Thanks!

Comments (7)

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Not all Clematis are hardy in your zone. The ones that are include C. alpina and macropetala cultivars. The Atragene group.

They must be planted three to four inches deeper in the ground than they are in the pot. The vines are expected to die back completed but they sprout from the buried crown.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

There is another poster on this forum, twrosz (Terrance), who is also from Alberta. Maybe you can search out threads where he has contributed to see what he grows and any comments he has about culture.

I do know that you have to plant clematis deeply in borderline areas with the growing point about 4" below ground level. They like even moisture (not soggy, but not dry), so an organic mulch along with water if you have a period of dry weather will help. Getting good-sized plants from a reliable vendor is good also. I buy some locally and some mail order. I know that there are some good Canadian sources, both local and mail order, so perhaps some of the Canadians on the forum will weigh in.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    11 years ago

I guess that would be me ... lol.

As recommended above, deep planting is very important! Giving additional winter protection is also advisable ... though, the best bet in very cold climates is to do as buyorsell888 says and plant the C. alpina and macropetala cultivars. With a few exceptions, many of the large flowered types have either struggled or died when planted out in my gardens away from the house, though the viticella varieties have fared better. If you want the large flowered beauties, then choose hard prune type 3's / C's (such as 'Ville de Lyon' and 'Jackmanii' and others) and place near to the foundation of your home and again about 3 or 4 inches deeper than they were in the pot. There is NO need to protect clematis that have been planted next to the house, as the extra heat provided by the foundation will keep them warm.

I wrote this in a hurry, so hope it comes across okay ... just ask away if you have any further questions.

Terrance

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

Hops are only hardy to zone 4 as well although planting with a similar technique as the clematis may increase that range. They are also quite late to emerge in spring.

• donna_in_sask
    11 years ago

I'm in Saskatchewan in zone 2b. I have tried many types of clematis, some with more success than others. I can grow Jackman, Polish Spirit, Mme Julia de Correvon, Etoile Violette, and Rhapsody. They've all come back this year with no winter protection.

A couple of years ago all our roses and clematis died when we had a sudden cold snap right after a really warm Autumn. Sometimes there's nothing you can do but plant the hardiest varieties and hope for the best.

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Here is a good article on Clematis macropetala which is the hardiest species

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis macropetala

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

The description on C. macropetala 'Blue Bird' says it is bred for the Canadian prairies by Dr. F.L. Skinner.

This site doesn't sell mail order but I thought the description was relevant. Dr. Skinner was a Canadian plant breeder.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Bird