Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valley_man0505

Clematis wilting (sort of)

valley_man0505
13 years ago

I planted 2 Fireworks and 3 Bourbon last spring. They never really got going and they got chewed off at ground level right before winter by some unknown critter. I wasn't sure if they'd come back or not, but I fenced them off for protection just in case. This spring, not only did they come back, but they grew more in 3 weeks than they did all of last summer. They all quickly reached a height of about 4 feet. All of a sudden, I noticed a bunch of wilted leaves on one of the Fireworks. The main stem forks about 8-10 inches from the ground. Everything on the stem that goes to the right is still fine, but every single leaf on the stem that goes to the left wilted in about a day or two. There are no kinks that I can see. What would cause one stem to wilt all of a sudden after it was thriving and while the other stem is STILL thriving?

Comments (14)

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

Too much growth and the roots can't support the plant. I've had new clematis that will dump one of 2 vines.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

yep, cut it off. It will be fine. This is typical.

• valley_man0505
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the replies. So far, the other stem still looks fine, so I think you guys are right.

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

I didn't notice that you are from Wisconsin. Let me know how Fireworks does for you. I've had it for 4 or 5 years and I still haven't seen it bloom. It gets too much winter die back.

• valley_man0505
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Interesting Janet. Nothing for me so far either, but they are young. One of my Bourbons has one bloom, but that is the only thing blooming for me yet. I will wait till next year to judge.

I have a feeling I may agree with you next spring though--the Bourbons are really outgrowing the Fireworks even though the Fireworks were supposed to be the taller of the two. Mine are pretty well sheltered from the worst of the winter conditions, but, well...it is still Wisconsin.

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

My Bourbon just started blooming too.
    Gorgeous gorgeous blooms.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I bought a gallon pot sized Fireworks three years ago and it wilted away and is just now three feet tall with three blooms. Yet the garden I bought it from had one that was a monster and covered with blooms.

• valley_man0505
    Original Author
    13 years ago

UPDATE: It appears that the problem was clematis wilt :( The remaining stem suddenly started wilting this weekend and a few of the leaves at the top of the plant had dark blackish-red splotches on them. I promptly cut the plant off and ground level and I will see what happens. My concern now is that I have 4 other clems within a couple feet of this one. Any recommendations for the best way to prevent any of them from getting it? Fungicide?

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

Chances are that your other clematis won't get whatever is causing the splothes, but to be on the safe side....

I got this from Donahue's website... "A drench of Fungo or Clearys 3336 should be applied after the plants are defoliated."

• valley_man0505
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wanted to update this thread from last year. ALL of my clems grew like crazy this spring and created a jungle on my trellis. Bourbons bloomed mid-June and Fireworks about a week later. All of them were cut to ground level in fall, so I am amazed at how big they got right away this spring.

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    12 years ago

Aren't clematis wonderful?!

• janetpetiole
    12 years ago

Glad you brought up this thread. This is an amazing year for clematis in my garden, too. All those (except for 1) that I was thinking about getting rid of are blooming like crazy. Fireworks was one of the first to bloom and is still blooming. Carnaby has been in the ground for 6 or 7 years, never producing much, even looking pathetic the previous 2 years, but this year it looks great; it too is still blooming.

I think it's because of the spring we had. The cold weather hung on, then we had a near-perfect late spring, and the hot temps were delayed.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

My Fireworks had one bloom. One.

• janetpetiole
    12 years ago

Is your Fireworks new BorS or is it just having a bad year?