Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Evergreen vine to pair with clematis?

Posted by haley45 7b (My Page) on
Thu, May 14, 09 at 14:42

Hi, I know that climbing roses and clematis do well growing together, but I was wondering if any of you know of an evergreen vine that would grow well with it along a 6ft. privacy fence and/or mailbox (i.e, one that doesn't get too huge). I had thought about confederate jessamine but then figured that it would probably choke the poor thing to death. If it helps, I have a Nelly Moser and a Multi Blue (and had to restrain myself at HD to other day to keep from buying about 5 more...I think I may be battling a new addiction LOL!).

Thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Evergreen vine to pair with clematis?

I'll put it very directly......I wouldn't :-) Simply because of the complications involved in pruning the clematis. You could possibly get away with using a no-prune, robust variety like a montana that would hold its own against many evergreen vines but IME, most evergreen vines as well as the montana clematis get far too large to suit the situation you intend.

o
RE: Evergreen vine to pair with clematis?

Thanks gardengal48! I hadn't taken into account pruning! I had a total "DUH" moment when I posted that :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here