Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janni_dk

margot koster or comtesse de bouchaud ?

janni_dk
13 years ago

I'm looking for a pink clematis to plant together with venosa violacea and prince charles (rouge cardinal might be there as well, if I can squeeze it in ;) and I would like some help choosing one. I'm leaning towards margot koster or comtesse de bouchaud, as I understand they're supposed to be easy and prolific. Does anyone have personal experience with mk or cdb? Which one would look best and work best with vv and pc? Which one would you recommend?

Comments (7)

• jeanne_texas
    13 years ago

I vote for Clematis "Comtesse de Bouchard"..she is a stunning pruning group 3...Jeanne

{{gwi:588355}}

• janni_dk
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Buyorsell, that is a beautiful combo, thanks for posting! I read somewhere that rouge cardinal is not really a good grower, is that your experience too? Maybe I should go for another red to go with VV and PC, do you have any suggestions? What's your opinion on Ville de Lyon or Royal Velours in terms of vigor and how well either would match with the other two?
    (I have Julia Correvon elsewhere in my garden, so I'd like to try something else)
    Thanks to all you savvy experts sharing your knowledge, pics and opinions!

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Rouge Cardinal has been excellent for me and Ville de Lyon has not. I do not grow Royal Velours.

Those three in the picture I posted were three years old from gallon pots when it was taken.

• eden_in_me
    13 years ago

Every CdB I've ever tried has died on me, but Margot has been performing like a champ. She was a little slow to get going, but grows tall easily and I believe I saw somewhere that she has among the largest flowers of a type 3.

I have MK planted on one side of an arch with Julia Correvon, which was kind of a mistake as they both have sort of gappy flowers and aren't that different in color as MK is a deeper pink than many of the type 3s. But MK grows up over the top of the 6ft arch and down the other side where she looks much better with Emelia Plater & Romantica.

If you don't mind pastels, and can get it, I would recommend Hagley Hybrid for your pink as it is lighter colored and would give more contrast with VV.

Of course you can find a way to squeeze in another one!!

Marie

• michael_in_chicago
    13 years ago

MK is the taller vine and is more prolific with its (smaller) blooms. It's also more of a hot pink than CdB's (larger) mauve-pink.

Neither PC nor VV are huge plants like MK, so if size of plant is important, go with CdB. MK has a lot of C.viticella in it, meaning it will be easy to grow. CdB has more of a Jackmanii mix to it, and the C. lanuginosa in that bloodline can make them a little sketchier to grow. But the flowers are bigger!

• eastautumn
    13 years ago

I've never grown Margot Koster, but Comtesse de Bouchaud was my first clematis to go into the ground (3 years ago now) and it's been easy to care for and free flowering. It tends to flower more at the top than at the bottom for me, but that doesn't bother me- just something I've noticed about it.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County