Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elleni_gw

When will I see signs of life?

elleni
14 years ago

My 'General Sikorski' clematis looks like a giant twig. I got it in flower from Menard's last Summer. It seemed to settle in fine-- even grew some new buds and a couple of new flowers in the early Fall. It is on a trellis on the South-East corner of the house getting a good amount of partial sun. This is only my second clematis. The other, a Huldine, is on its forth year and already nearly 12" high. When should a group 2 clematis show signs of life in zone 4a?

[x-posted in MN Gardening forum]

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis when first planted

Comments (17)

• alina_1
    14 years ago

Did you keep it potted this winter? It might not survive if it was in that pot unprotected in your zone.

• elleni
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Doh! It did not occur to me to explain that picture! It is not planted *in* that pot. It is in the ground behind the pot. I put the pot there to shade the roots. It is not actually over the root zone, but in front of it.

• matt_in_mi
    14 years ago

Don't panic yet.

A few years ago I planted a Mrs. Cholmondeley clematis next to my deck. It didn't do much of anything that summer but I figured it was just putting its energy into its roots. The following spring it never came up, or rabbits ate the new shoots before I ever saw it. After hoping and waiting for another month or so, I figured it was a dead and gone so I mulched over the spot and never gave it another thought. The following spring, while doing some spring cleanup, I saw a tiny little green shoot trying to poke through the mulch. I pulled the mulch back and much to my amazement, there was my long lost Mrs. Cholmondeley! She put on a nice little show for me last summer but this spring, she has thrown off the winter covers and is now scaling up the side of the deck like a spritely teenager.

So my advice is to not give up on the General just yet! He may just be napping.

• alina_1
    14 years ago

Oops.. It looked like potted to me. Since it planted very close to the house foundation, it should survive the winter. Do not worry too much: some of my Clematis just start to show up. I am in zone 6/7. The vine could die (I'd say it should have some buds by this time even in your zone). However, if you planted this Clematis deep enough, you might have multiple new shoots emerging from the ground. Examine the area around that vine - you might be surprised.

BTW, Clematis do not need their roots to be shaded. They just need the soil to be constantly moist. Also, pinch the new growth several times this spring. You will get a much bushier plant instead of one leggy vine.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Some Clematis are slow to emerge. Check at ground level for new shoots. I would cut that vine off 6-12" from the ground to encourage new shoots and branching.

Agreed, Clematis don't need their roots shaded. That is a myth that just won't die.

• elleni
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks alina_1 and buyorsell888. I thought group 2 should not be cut back as they flower first on old wood? How do you tell when a vine/branch is dead? I keep inspecting the brown branch for any change and have seen none yet. If it is still alive and I cut it back, should it still flower a bit in the Fall?

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

All Clematis, regardless of pruning group should be cut back hard every year for their first few years to get their roots off to a good start.

Otherwise, they tend to either continue in one big long vine with few flowers (Type II especially in my experience) or put out a bunch of top growth that the roots can't support which will die off.

There is no reason to inspect the brown branch. Cut it off. You want the new growth to come up from the crown which you hopefully buried when you planted the Clematis.

All Clematis take several years to establish themselves in the garden.

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

My General Sikorski was one vine its first year and two the second year. This is the third year, and ... you guessed it, 3 vines. They are 4 inches tall right now.

It also dies back to the ground every year. However, once it starts blooming, it doesn't stop. Even though it's slow growing, it's also strong and sturdy and the earwigs leave it alone. It's one of my favorite clematis.

I am curious about a couple of things. Does that spot get really wet in winter and freeze solid? Also, have you used ice melt on the stairs?

• elleni
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I guess I'm confused. Janetpetiole, yours dies back each year? I thought group 2 vines didn't do that.

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

Because our winters are so cold, many of the group 2's die back to the ground each year. We had a lot of snow this past winter. What was under the snow survived, but the general rule is to but down to the fattest two buds. With General Sikorski, that meant cutting down to the ground. There were other group 2's that did better.

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

Many of my newest clematis have not sprouted yet. Some of the older established clematis are also still sleeping, others are up and beginning to twine. Thanks janet, for the info about type 2s dieing back to the ground. This is the first winter for type 2s in my gardens and they were small plants that I grew in gallon pots all summer before planting last fall. I prefer type 3s but couldn't pass up the bargains. General Sikorski is one of them.

• elleni
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I checked last weekend and there was nothing. I took another look this morning and, yea!, there are 3 or 4 little one-inch shoots coming up. No signs of life on the old stem, but that's OK. It looks like things will be alright after all. My Huldine is about 18" with 6 stems. I really need to get it tied to the trellis.

I also noticed a hint of my Mother's Day '06 lilies finally pushing through the ground today!

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

Wow--- 3-4 shoots is great! You will love GS.

• elleni
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, it was nice last year when I got it. It should be 3-4 times batter this year! I guess is will be late Summer before I see flowers since flowers will be on new growth only. Thanks again for the encouragement everyone.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Cut the old stem off!

• elleni
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi all.

Just wanted to let you all know that the plant is doing really well. The FIVE branches are tall enough that I had to tie/guide them onto the trelis yesterday! The tallest is over 12" high.

Thanks again.

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

Yeah!!!