Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pump_toad

What to pair with Avant-Garde?

pump_toad
15 years ago

I bought a Avant-Garde several weeks ago which I would like to plant but I think I want to partner it.Any suggestions?

Lois

Comments (7)

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

Mine hasn't bloomed enough for me to know what would look good with it....dang earwigs have eaten the buds off and the new shoots down to nubs every year.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Depends on your color likes and dislikes. I was not sure that I would like Avant Garde when I first got it but it has turned into a blooming machine for me. It is about ready to come into bloom for me this year but here is one picture of it last year.

{{gwi:588383}}

• eden_in_me
    15 years ago

The flowers on the one of 2 that I HAD (don't make it through the winters without root rot for me) were smaller than I had expected. So if I try again I would pair it with one of the larger flowered type 3s or vitacellas in either the pink or reddish tones.

I think it would go well with Hagley Hybrid or Comtesse de Bouchaud. Possibly with Madame Baron Veillard or Pink Fantasy, but they haven't bloomed for me yet so I'm not sure what kind of pink they would be.

For the red, I would try either Carmencita or Keremesina, which are quite alike, except for the white spot at the center of K. Or maybe Huuvi or Ruutel, but they are quite short.I had it for a while on a trellis arbor with Madame Julia Correvon & Margot Koster, but it just didn't look right. It is a good thing that I replant in pots first so that it is easier to move plants that just don't work out in the first place I try, as well as growing stronger roots.

Marie

• pump_toad
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks,the photo was helpful and it looks like you paired it with pink.
    Thanks to you also Marie, I think I will try and find Comtesse De Bouchaud .Almost bought that one a week ago but decided to think it over.Probably was a mistake because it was a nice large one in bloom.I think I have as much fun looking at Garden Centers to find something different as I do buying them.LOL. I do have limited space but that doesn't stop me from looking.
    Lois

• eden_in_me
    15 years ago

The pink in the picture is the center of AG, not a different clem. The red tepals fall off first.

• pump_toad
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No wonder the pink looks so good with the flower.LOL.
    Lois

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Yep, Marie is correct. The lighter pink is the central boss after the tepals have fallen off. LOL