Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Huldine - define vigorous for a newbie please

Posted by gala522 5 (My Page) on
Tue, May 19, 09 at 15:42

I've read posts that refer to Huldine as vigorous. I haven't grown clematis before so I don't have a good frame of reference for how much space a vigorous clematis will need. I have a 40" wide by 72" tall trellis. I had planned to combine Huldine and Venosa Violacea. Will that be enough space for these two clematis?

I also considered combining Huldine with Duchess of Albany. Are there any advantages to that pairing over Huldine and Venosa Violacea?

I've learned so much from this forum. Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Huldine - define vigorous for a newbie please

Correction - The trellis is 60" wide by 72" tall.

o

I would think "Huldine" and "VV" would make a great pairing and contrast..especially with the white bars on "VV" ..Vigorous in my opinion is one that sends up alotta new shoots from the ground..grows like a weed and blooms its head off..LOL...I think your Trellis could easily use those two clematis and would look fantastic..Jeanne

o

Boy, I don't know. My VV is new and not too tall yet, but my Huldine climbs to the top of a crabapple tree (maybe 12') and this year is putting out 12 to 15 shoots. I think it might overwhelm the VV, and it will certainly want to grow taller than the trellis. I've never tried to keep a clem to only a certain height, so can't offer advice about that. Might it climb up one side of the trellis and fall down the other? I do agree that the two would look fantastic together. My VV is one of my favorites.

o

I agree that they would look great together but 72" is only 6 feet tall.

I have Venosa Violacea on an 9 foot trellis and it reached the top in it's first year with pinching and cutting back. Second year it trailed halfway back down and I'm scared for this year.

It is my understanding that Huldine is a bigger grower than VV so I'd be concerned with a 6' trellis even in your zone.

o
Clematis on the web

Clematis on the Web says Huldine's growth is 2.5 to 6 meters which would be in a single season since she is hard prune.

They have 2 to 4 meters for Venosa Violacea.

They are outstanding Clematis, and you certainly can try them and I would. Just be prepared to make the trellis bigger. :)

o

Thanks so much for your feedback. I'm going to try it. I've ordered a small Huldine from Bluestone and will buy a gallon-sized VV from a local nursery. Hopefully that will allow VV to hold her own with Huldine while they're getting established.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here