Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rate of Growth

Posted by harryshoe z6easternPA (My Page) on
Mon, May 14, 07 at 15:49

Though only in year 2, my Betty Corning clematis is growing so fast that I was doubting what I was seeing. I used marks on my trellis to see how fast she was going. She grew 18" in one week.

How long will this rate continue?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rate of Growth

Hi Harry,

I bought Betty Corning last spring, planted it last fall, cut it back to the ground this spring and it has already covered a 6 foot trellis. She's scaring me. Crispa is doing the same.

Carol

o

Each year she'll get bigger and grow faster..LOL..she'll continue this growth and then start blooming...Jeanne

o

I do see a few buds forming on the tallest vines. At the same time there are more new growth tips forming at the leaf axis. The new tips are now starting to grow quickly.

Will this growth continue all season? My arbor is 7' tall and 4x4 at the base. BC has now reached 5'. Should I begin training the vines laterally or just let them grow naturally?

o

Harry..just let her do her thing and sit back and enjoy what's about to happen..her beautiful blooms..remember "Betty Corning" is a pruning group 3 and you'll be hard pruning her again next year..did you read up about her on COTW? She can easily grow 6-9 feet tall..you can help train her vines sideways if you want..I hope you will share pics when she is in full bloom!!..Jeanne

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis

o

Harry trying to keep up with training a clematis as vigorous as Betty Corning would be a daunting task. You can do it if you have the time but I personally would let her do her own thing and drape back down as she would do in nature without man's intervention.

o

Harry, I am letting mine do her own thing and she has draped herself on the trellis beautifully. I haven't helped her at all. She is covered with blooms now and a sight to behold!

Carol

o

I'm with Miguel..just let her do her thang!!..Lucky you!!..Jeanne

o

Here's my Betty from 2005. She's one of my favorites. You can imagine how big she is now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Betty Corning 2005

o

Great picture of BC there Marcia!

o

Oh WOW Marcia..she is splendid...LOL..Did Harry fall outta his chair when he saw that pic?..Tee hee..Jeanne

o

Yes Jeanne....I think I'm gonna need a bigger arbor (said in same tone used by the sheriff in Jaws).

I'm starting to think my Westerland rose, sharing the same arbor, is going to be MIA.

Spectacular picture Marcia. At first I'm thinking those blooms are just little tiny things like honesuckle. Then I realize they are 3+ inches each and know what you have created. "Its Alive!"

o

Marcia, that is a gorgeous sight! Wow.

Carol

o

That's astounding! All mine are babies, and that's okay, I like to watch my plants grow, but now I suspect I might not have allowed enough room for some of them. I wonder if a 14 x 10 ft deck is big enough for 8 clematis??? It is about 4 ft off the ground. I have 3 roses along the longest section of deck and they are 2 rugoses and a climber- so they are not small- and they grow a lot faster than clematis! But, I don't mean to change the subject.
I can't imagine any of mine being that big! Brandy

o

If the deck is 4 feet off the ground, that means the clematis have the 4 feet plus the height of the railing and then down the inside lenght of the railing before they would be on the floor of the deck. As for the overall length of the deck (14feet), that should be long enough for the 8 clematis but then again, I believe in cramming as many as close together as possible.

o

"I believe in cramming as many as close together as possible."
I do love the way you think Miguel..LOL..Jeanne

o

Too funny Jeanne!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here