Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shovmama

Need help keeping the peace with clematis

shovmama
11 years ago

I bought 2 honeysuckle 'goldflame' and 2 clematis 'allanah' last week with the intention of planting them along our chain link fence in the front yard. For some unknown reason, my husband is having a fit about them covering up the fence (who wants to look at a chain link fence???). He lost the battle with the honeysuckle since I'd already planted them before he got home, but I haven't planted the clematis yet. Is there a way to plant them where I want but keep them pruned enough to keep him happy or am I just destined to be in trouble forever?

Comments (8)

• plantgnome
    11 years ago

In my opinion the honeysuckle will choke out clematis on the same fence. Maybe put the clematis near a tree they can climb. No comment on the husband interference, sshhheesh.

• alina_1
    11 years ago

IMO, Clematis 'Allanah' is a better compromise than the honeysuckle. This Clematis belongs to pruning group 3, so it should be cut down every year. Meaning, that chain link fence can be exposed for several months to please your DH :)

• shovmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you both! alina so do I cut it to the ground every year? plantgnome, that won't be an issue, the honeysuckle is on one side of the front yard and the clematis is going on the other with the gate in between. can't blame you for the no comment though : ) I did suggest letting it climb our apple tree but that went over about as well as the fence

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

Personally, I tend to suggest evergreen vines whenever or wherever possible to disguise chainlink fencing. There is nothing good looking about this stuff without something covering it up......wasn't it designed to grow vines on??? I just consider it one massive trellis system! LOL!

Cut back the clematis to the second or third set of buds from the base each year.

Growing vines - especially clematis - through trees and shrubs is a long observed and established tradition. Provided you pair the vine correctly with its supporting plant, neither will be adversly affected and it is a great way to bring flowering interest to what otherwise might be just a plain Jane green shrub or tree. And that's the way they all grow naturally, anyway.

• shovmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL That's my thinking, but apparently my husband likes looking at it!

• bob414
    11 years ago

"No comment on the husband interference". I thought I saw a loud and clear comment there.

• flowergirl70ks
    11 years ago

Where did you find this guy? Must have been the same place my neighbors came from. They don't want me to cover up my fence because then they won't be able to see my pretty yard, and I will still be able to see their weedy one.

• shovmama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL to both of you!!! He's pretty great (most of the time) but I don't know what the issue is with the fence...and flowergirl, at least you only have a weedy yard to look at. my neighbors have an RV parked about 6 in. from the fence in the backyard! If I didn't already have a ton of stuff planted there, I would've put the clematis there!

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling