Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wildflower3_gw

Help with clematis 'Mayleen'

wildflower3
14 years ago

Hi, I don't post much but I have a Mayleen clematis that is more than 8 years old. Last year it didn't bloom much and this year it has only 3 flowers. It is in at least half day full sun if not more; and I think it is around 12 feet tall. Should I just prune it half or all the way back? I really don't know what I am supposed to do with it at this point. Any opinions welcome!

Comments (10)

• Carrie B
    14 years ago

Most sources have Montana 'Mayleen' listed as hardy from zone 6-9. Is the vine dying back (almost) completely every winter for you, and then re-growing from the ground? Montanas bloom on last year's growth, so if the vine dies back every year, that could explain why you are getting no, or very few, flowers. Even if your vines are surviving, I suspect that your cold winters may be playing a role.

• wildflower3
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The vine is not dying back at all. It used to have a great number of flowers but now 3 flowers! Would the winter affect the flowers if it doesn't affect the vine?

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

Wildflower..sounds like you are on the border line for Montana's..they most certainly can be affected from a severe winter..that is why they are recommended for zones 6 and up..6 is even iffy unless in a micro-climated area of your gardens...do you ever see vines that have winter kill?...Jeanne

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Yes, the flower buds can be killed by winter temps even if the vines aren't.

• wildflower3
    Original Author
    14 years ago

O.K. Then should I move this clematis or just REmove it altogether? Right now it is on the northwest corner of my back patio. Would moving it closer to the house give it sort of a micro-climate?

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

Yes...being closer to the home will provide a warmer spot for it...Jeanne

• nwkrys
    14 years ago

I also have a reluctant Mayleen in my garden at Seaside on the Oregon coast. She is four years old, climbing a tree. She must be up there about 15 feet but very few blooms and the foilage is very sparse as well. I have about 15 other clems including another variety of montana (it is fully leafed out and covered with blossoms). She is the only one that is still poking along after all this time. Seaside is not borderline as the zone is 8 so weather is not the problem. I've considered giving her a hard prune to about 18" after the blooms are gone but don't know if she'll like that. She seems to be rather modest as montanas go. Any similar problems? Any other ideas?

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I don't think Mayleen will like that. Is she getting enough sun through the tree? Are you fertilizing at all? My yard isn't big enough for montanas so I can't help you with growth rates for them. I just know they end up BIG and they only bloom once a year....

• Carrie B
    14 years ago

I have a tiny city garden, and I have 'Mayleen' growing on wire mesh that I've secured against my house wall. Each year, I cut it back immediately AFTER blooming, and each spring, it blooms beautifully.

This 'Mayleen' is about six or eight years old. I've attached photos below of this clematis, blooming about a month ago, and then this morning, cut back a couple of weeks ago, and of new shoots emerging from where it was cut back.

If you have a small garden, and you cut this type one clem back hard after bloom every year, you'll still get lovely blooms and the size will be controlled.

{{gwi:585346}}

{{gwi:588785}}

{{gwi:588786}}

• nwkrys
    14 years ago

carrieb

What wonderful info and pictures to go with! I'll give her a trim today. Thanks!!