Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onlineharvest

Growing Clematis in open space to create WALL, again!

OnlineHarvest
12 years ago

Hello,

thank you for your patience, I know I have repeated myself with similar questions, starting a new thread because the subject has changed.

To those unaware of previous posts, I would like to fill the space BETWEEN 2 posts of my pergola, thus creating a wall of vines. Zone 5, Ontario. Spot for planting is narrow, in between fence and seating sofa, about 3 feet. Fence is on east side, and since there is little room (3 feet), and angle to fence, etc, there is not much sun on this site (not much on base, more dappled through pergola as you are above lip of seating sofa). I do not want it to grow as a canopy, and I will cut it off at the top or drape back down to avoid.

I've since scrapped the idea of getting a vine that does not flower. I'm open to all. This is probably a mostly shade area, so I would need to consider that. I prefer white flowers, but may be open to other colors.

I was thinking perhaps grow multiple vine plants up line (guage wire) to top, or one single vine across, then up? I'm reading that many need to be cut all the way back, if so, perhaps multiple plants are better for faster impact?

Any suitable vines for my space and plan? Thanks for your help.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting