Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terri_meyer_1

streaked clematis leaves??????

Terri_Meyer_1
10 years ago

Just wondering if anyone has ever seen streaked or variegated leaves on a clematis? I just noticed that I have streaked/variegated leaves on one of my 3 Guernsey Cream's.
Thank you,
Terri

Comments (12)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Streaking or partial variegation is typically the sign of a virus. But not to panic!! Viruses are not necessarily "bad" - that's often how variegated plants come to be in the first place. Keep an eye on it and if it looks OK through the growing season, all good. But if the vine looks like it's beginning to deteriorate or looking weak, you may need to remove at least the affected portion of the vine.

• portlandmysteryrose
    10 years ago

Hi, Terri.

I'm usually over on the Antique Rose Forum but hopped over to this clematis thread when I discovered "variegated" leaves on my Clematis terniflora/paniculata--first time in 9 years. My variegation looks like silver streaking on the leaves. I contacted the Rogerson Clematis Collection in Oregon but have not received a reply yet. It's an interesting gardening season, isn't it?

Carol in Portland, OR

• annakins
    10 years ago

My Clematis SAC has done the exact same thing this year, Carol. I was just going to wait it out to see what happens. Had a problem with leafhoppers in that section in the garden last year and didn't know if there was a connection. Took all my coneflowers except the cheap ones I started from seed.

• patty57
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Carol and the other Ladies,

What was your findings, if any, of the streaked clematis leaves? Do you know the name of the ones that produced this streaking and is it still with you in your gardens?

Carol, mine has the exact same shape and color leaf as your picture above. Variety you pictured if you know?

Thank you,

Patty

• Shelley B
    2 years ago

This is what mine is doing this year???

• Shelley B
    2 years ago

Any ideas what this means? Is this a fungus

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

That patterning is more indicative of a virus, not a fungus.

• Shelley B
    2 years ago

Uh oh, what should I do? This is the best my clematis have ever looked or grown 😢

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

I'd probably adopt a wait and see attitude :-) Plant viruses can present some unusual issues....sometimes accounting for interesting coloration or the streaking of foliage or flowers (and sometimes with not so interesting effects), sometimes they can affect healthy growth; sometimes they don't do much of anything and sometimes they can kill the plant. Clematis can be prone to a number of different viruses but none seem to be harmful. According to Clematis on the Web: "Very little attention has been devoted to virus diseases of clematis. Their occurrence is fairly widespread and although all clematis types can be affected, they do not usually cause serious damage."

They go on to say that the vine will sometime grow out of it or lose symptoms in subsequent seasons but if the virus results in stunting or an unattractive appearance, you should remove the plants and destroy.

• Shelley B
    2 years ago

Thank you so much 😊

• Marilyn Woods
    2 years ago

I

I planted this Clematis at least 20 years ago from seed. It took several years but finally grew and produced lovely colorful lavendar/pink blooms. It blossomed for several years and then got the variegated looking leaves. It now blooms the white fragrant flowers as seen in the pic, beginning in mid August ( in Kansas City, MO.) I guess it morphed into a Sweet Autumn Clematis. Whaaaat?? It is a good climber but non-invasive.and very trainable. How does a run of the mill clematis turn into a Sweet Autumn Clematis??? Please reply to marilyn.woods33@gmail.com.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!