Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Where is your rooguchi it's happiest?

catherinet
17 years ago

Hi all,

My order from Garden Crossings just arrived today. I figured out where to put my new Dawn and Guernsey Cream, but I'm still thinking about where to put the Rooguchi. Is it pretty good in shade, or should I put it more out in the sun?

I also ordered Silver Moon from them, but I guess they had a total crop failure with it, so I didn't get it. Any suggestions about where to look for it now? Thanks!

Comments (11)

• jeanne_texas
    17 years ago

I would definitely have clematis Rooguchi have at least 6 hours morning sun if you can find a spot like that...your Silver Moon clematis is known as Claire de Lune and you can buy it at Joycreek..just saw they have 24 left...goodluck...Jeanne

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis

• catherinet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Jeanne,
    Are you sure those 2 are the same? I almost bought both of them. I thought Claire de Lune was white, and Silver Moon more light purple?
    Thanks for the advice about Rooguchi!

• suzymac
    17 years ago

My Rooguchi receives about 5-6 hours of morning sun and is doing beautifully. I LOVE this clematis for it's beautiful, summer long blooms of cobalt blue beginning about mid June, if I remember correctly.

• catherinet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Suzymac. I can't wait to see the blossoms on this fella!

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

I passed up Rooguchi today when I was at Joy Creek in person because I keep reading that it gets powdery mildew.

Should I buy it anyway? I love, love, love the photos of those cobalt blue bells.

• catherinet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have no experience with it yet, but maybe you could choose a spot for it, where it would be sure to get some sun and good ventilation. I agree, those blue bells are sooooo cool!

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    17 years ago

i planted a rooguchi last fall to grow into the yellow leafed Cotinus 'Golden Spirit'. I'm really looking forward to this show!

Hope the powdery mildew isn't too bad.

• jeanne_texas
    17 years ago

Yes Catherine..some people calle "Claire de Lune" Silver Moon..they are one in the same...Jeanne
    Check out COTW to read up on it if you are not sure..Jeanne

• pitimpinai
    17 years ago

I just planted my new rooguchi next to my Viburnum opulus 'Compactum'. I plan to make her entertwine with the Viburnum. I would like to see how the blue flowers go with the bright red berries this summer. :-) I have no other spot to plant the clematis anyway. LOL.

• flowerfan2
    17 years ago

Here in the Pacific NW rooguchi does best in full sun. In a shady location it gets powdery mildew, at least that has been my experience. Two years ago I had it growing in a pot in full sun and it bloomed for 3 months and no mildew. I planted it that fall in an east exposure and it bloomed poorly and was full of mildew. This year I am moving it to a full sun location and we will see if the powdery mildew stays away.

• ard1
    15 years ago

Would rooguchi do well in a z8 garden? I am in coastal NC, and am looking for a clematis to plant as a companion to a Cornelia climbing rose on the end wall of a little garden cottage. It faces west and gets the HOT afternoon sun for many hours. There is a 6' gardenia out a bit from the wall which would shade the base of the clematis. Also, am looking for a clematis to plant on a pergola/arbor structure that is 10' long by 3' deep and 8' high. It will have a souvenir de la malmaison climbing rose on one end and a reve d'or on the other. In the center is a confederate jasmine.The three sides are a very open lattice, which provide plenty of climbing support. I have no experience with clematis, but am fascinated by their beauty, and would like to get to know them. I am gone quite a bit in spring and early summer, so they would have to be fairly independent and able to manage on their own until I return home in July. Is it too tall an order? Thanks for all suggestions.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner