Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve1young

Squirel ate my Clematis Bud?

steve1young
14 years ago

Does this happen very often? Is it common for squirels to eat Clematis buds? I don't have any witnesses (at least none that are talking). But, I have my suspicions.

It wouldn't be too hard to fix. The trellis is near a fence and I can attach some kind of metal screening or chicken wire on the back of the trellis.

But, before I go through the trouble I'd be interested in hearing what you think may have eaten my Clematis bud. Ideas welcome. Thanks!

It's a young plant (Ville de Lyon) and she only had that one bud. Poor lady. :(

Comments (10)

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

earwigs eat mine. I've never seen squirrels pay them any attention at all.

• janetpetiole
    14 years ago

I feed the squirrels. I have a platform feeder and give them peanuts and sunflower seeds.

They leave all my plants and bird feeders alone.

• steve1young
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Janet,

I like your "distraction" technique. Nice!

Do you think maybe it was a bird?

• alina_1
    14 years ago

I guess some of my neighbors feed squirrels as well. I keep finding buried peanuts in my flower beds and pots :o) Some squirrel relocated a lily bulb from the ground into container for me. It was really weird to see Lily blooming in the container with Camelia. "My" squirrels love to dig, but never eat greenery.

I also vote for earwigs. Do leaves have round holes? Also rabbits or deer might do this.

• steve1young
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The foliage is free of holes and it's definitely not deer and it was way too high for rabbits/cats. No racoons either. Hmmmmm. The plot thickens.

• alina_1
    14 years ago

Rabbits eat the tops of my very tall Lilies. They just bend Lilies stems down. Sometimes they are smarter than we think :o)

How about humans? Someone might like the blooms ;)

• steve1young
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL. Thanks for the laughs, Alina. I can't see a rabbit climbing 5 feet up a trellis, but then again, maybe it was a 5 foot rabbit!

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I have earwigs that climb twelve feet up to the top of my fences/trellises to eat new growth....

You certainly do have raccoons on Long Island. My ponding friends there are plagued with them. :)

• steve1young
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You are correct. We most definitely have raccoons on Long Island. But, we don't have them in our neighborhood.

• susnhine
    2 years ago

I didn't know that squirrels ate clematis until this little guy visited our backyard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktwfGtJ8-uo

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?