Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clematis Question....

Posted by arabianqueen69 Zone 5 (My Page) on
Tue, May 26, 09 at 17:42

I have 2 clematis vines that i bought from lowe's and planted last year. one is a HF Young and the other i'm tryin to go off memory i believe it's a Violet clematis or something with a V LOL. this year they both bloomed in May, the HF young grew faster and produce 3 flowers, the Violet grew slower and produced 1 flower. they both are still relatively small since this is their 2nd year, really 1st full year. these get mornin sun and pretty much shade with lightly filtered sun the rest of the day. my question is what do i do after they have bloomed and the petals have fallen off? do i just let them be or do i need to deadhead the old flowers, will they produce more flowers this summer? Also in the fall should i leave them be or pruned to the ground?? last year i just let them be and new growth still grew. Thanks in advance for your help. :o)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clematis Question....

I would Hard prune both of them since they have shown you their blooms for this year..this will allow the clematis to focus on growing bigger and stronger root system and next year they will be even better..DO NOT prune them down to the soil line..prune above the 3rd leaf axil or about 12 inches above the ground...Jeanne

o
RE: Clematis Question....

Agreed, hard prune them now and again early next spring about the same time you prune roses. This will help them grow more roots and more vines up from the crown. Otherwise, they tend to be scraggly. More vines means more flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here