Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davek913

First clematis, how is this location?

davek913
14 years ago

My wife has seen clematis all around our area and wanted one. She proceeded to purchase one online and wants me to find a home for it. It was called Crystal Fountain, I believe. For the record, I've never grown clematis before.

My thought was to plant it at the southeast corner of our house in front(Our house faces east) based on what I've read. Full sun most of the day, pretty well protected from our prevailing winds.

I have a permanent planter I made several years ago and was going to move the plants in it and place it there. It's made of retaining wall blocks and I could could even fasten the trellis I make for the clematis to it with masonry screws.

It's almost 3 feet in diameter in size and 9 inches to the bottom, which is open to the ground underneath. The center of the planter is about 18 inches from our upstairs(Split level), which is 4 feet above ground.

{{gwi:589305}}

{{gwi:589307}}

My main concern would be winter, since I figure it would essentially be "containerized" with the top nine inches of the root system above ground. The other would be possible heat transfer from the blocks.

I'd appreciate any advice. The only other vine I've grown is honeysuckle for an arbor/trellis I built a few years back.

Comment (1)