Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clematis only blooms once per season

Posted by greglava z7 VA (My Page) on
Fri, May 15, 09 at 19:06

My Clematis looks like the one on top of the page. When I bought it the container said it bloomed from May to September. It is about 4 years old and it blooms great in May but that is it. How do I get it to bloom all season?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clematis only blooms once per season

Don't believe anything on the tags on the clematis you purchase. They typically put generic information on them and the data is unreliable. The clematis at the top of this forum looks like Asao to me and is a type II clematis. To get it or any type II clematis to bloom more than once a year, cut it back by at least half after it finishes blooming, fertilize it with a low nitrogen/high phosphorus fertilizer, keep it watered, and it will likely bloom again later in the season. Depending on the length of your growing season, you might be able to get as many as 3 bloom cycles out of it by following these general guidelines.

o

I have a Miss Bateman clematis and it is absolutely full and beautiful...but it blooms the end of May and that is it! What can I do?

o

Most Clematis bloom for a short period of time. They do not bloom all season like annuals do. To try and get another flush of bloom you can cut it back by half after it is done and fertilize with low nitrogen fertilizer and keep it well watered. As Miguel advised above....

o

Due to living in the north, naturally my clematis begin to bloom later in the season than for those living in warmer climates ... though, because I've very deeply dug and amended the soil, the plants continue to push new growth and extend their bloom season into October when hard frost strikes them.

Terrance

o

• Posted by ditas Z 4b-5 Iowa (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 5, 11 at 1:13

In my zone the few clems I have, seem to collapse in the heat of Summer but as soon as cooler days start once more, I often get a 2nd surge of buds & blooms altho not as plentiful as in Jun ~ when they usually put on their show. My Blue Bell is usually a week later & keeps producing for a long time!

I've never tried fertilizing in the past ~ perhaps if I did I might get better 2nd show huh?!

The problems I've experienced w/ them are years w/ unusually odd Springs - to wet & steamy or year of earwigs & other bloom munching bugs or even the *sudden wilt syndrome*!

o

My plants with very long bloom periods or repeat bloom usually shut down when it gets really dry. Water is the trick, along with keeping a good supply of nutrients coming along. Also, many plants will stop blooming when it gets good and hot.

o

'Miss Bateman' in particular blooms early and very heavily. Most sources indicate that this heavy early bloom tends to make any later reblooming unlikely. The suggestions given were to prune very lightly after the first flush - barely more than deadheading - fertilize with a low nitrogen product and hope for the best.

Not all type II's will offer a later season rebloom - many do, some don't.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here