Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pale Nellie Moser

Posted by windymess 5 (My Page) on
Sun, May 18, 14 at 19:09

Well, my Nellie is in her third season. The first year she bloomed a little and the flowers looked like what I'd expect. Second year she bloomed a little more and grew a little more, but I would describe the plant as looking a bit "anemic" or pale - both the flowers and leaves. Interesting thing about year two was that a "volunteer" Nellie came up and bloomed among the weeds in the empty lot next door to us. This year I pruned the plant pretty hard in very early spring. There's lots of good growth. So far one bloom. Pale, pale, pale! And I think the leaves are pale, too. Now, this should be an ideal location for her: morning sun, afternoon shade. She faces NE. I have fertilized with my special 'tea' of composted manure and water for the last two years. This year I thought I'd follow another GWer's advice and try Rose Tone. Any thoughts? Oh, I also gave her some alfalfa meal tea last year (that stuff stinks!!!). Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pale Nellie Moser

Here's a photo....

o

Another photo.... Sorry. I can't figure out how to place more than one on a single message.

o

Pale blooms in my garden are general sun faded....

You don't need to brew alfalfa tea. Go to a feed/farm/ranch store and buy a bag of alfalfa pellet horse feed. About ten bucks. Just toss them by the handful around your plants. I go through a bag a year. They are great. I also use Rose Tone on my Clems.

o

Thanks buyorsell, I'll get those pellets. Well, I'm waiting to see how the other buds look when they open! And I'll give it time. I don't think it's the sun because it only really gets morning sun and this year so far we've had way too many cloudy, cooler days!

o

I've had the same problem you've had with my Lincoln Star. Mine is 3-4 years old, with no problems growing & flowering, but the reddish bar color is very pale, during both 1st & 2nd blooms. I don't think fertilizer is the problem, because all my stock get the same regimen & this is the only problem child. Initially I thought it might be due to the very hot weather here (9a), but this should not affect the 1st bloom. I've layered one branch and thereafter plan to severely prune & move this one into another location. If this doesn't work I will probably try Carnaby, which is similar.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here