Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njmomma_gw

Why do some not survive over winter? how about these?

njmomma
13 years ago

My neighbor planted 3 last year (don't know the names of them) and only 2 returned and are doing quite well. Are some varieties just not as hardy? We are in zone 6b. Can you tell me if I should worry about any I ordered?

Comtesse de Bouchaud

HF Young

Blue Angel

Barbara Harrington

Elsa Spath

Thanks,

Natanya

Comments (4)

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

All of those should survive. Sometimes, the clematis doesn't make an appearance right away because... that's what they do :). Tell her to feed and water them. There is a good change that she'll see all of them by July. Unless... they were in soggy soil over winter. If that is the case, then they might not come back.

• unbiddenn
    13 years ago

I'm in Northern Wisconsin, and I have most of those listed, all are up with the exception of one, which always makes a late late appearance. Its planted in partial shade, mabye I should move it.
    I have only ever lost one, Florida Seiboldii which was stunning, but the wrong zone. Shame on the nursery that sold it here in the frozen winter north.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

It often isn't winter cold that is the problem (except for those truly not hardy) it can be vole or insect damage or other physical damage and of course, wilt. Those that are thought of as dead often surprise by growing up nicely a year later.One should not give up on Clematis too soon.

• eden_in_me
    13 years ago

I thought I had lost a Guernsey Cream (I think, got from a web supplier that was less than reputable I found out later. I ordered Duchess of Edinburgh but the tag said GC back in '04. Also bought a GC from a local nursery, but everything I got from there died. I think it was because they potted their gallons with pro-mix, but it may have been poor drainage on my part. Anyway, I'm really not sure which plant it was, but I planted it in a wooden cupola (on the ground) 2 or 3 years ago with creeping phlox, 2 daylilies & a mini-iris. Last year it came back a little but died off quickly).

This year the wood was rotting away on the cupola so I took it out to plant yellow dillies I had brought up last year from a bed down in the field (don't have the energy to tromp down the hill to take care of these beds, so I dug up some that were blooming last year & potted them with the intent to squeeze them into the garden beds near the house at the top of the hill so I could enjoy them more).

And in the the pile of soil that was in the cupola was some small but healthy clem roots and about 4 inches of pale stem. Hadn't emerged yet. Moved it to a different spot and hope it will finally flower so I can tell what it is.

Marie in ME