Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luxrosa

Easiest purple clem for no frost garden?

luxrosa
14 years ago

I'd like a medium-lavender or a rich purple clem to go on a fence, to give a background to a pink Hybrid Perpetual rose, 'Mrs. John Laing'

If it re-bloomed, that would be a really nice bonus.

we live near Berkeley, California, in a no-frost area.

Thanks very much,

Lux.

Comments (4)

• nckvilledudes
    14 years ago

Polish Spirit, Blue Belle, Etoile Violette, or Jackmanii are four that come to mind just off the top of my head. All three will rebloom if you cut them back hard after the initial bloom cycle and keep them feed and watered.

• lemurlover
    14 years ago

Hi lux -- I live across the Bay in Palo Alto, and have had really good luck with both Jackmanii and Jackmanii Superba. I highly recommend the latter, the blooms are 5 or 6 inches across, much bigger than the standard Jackmanii, and they will stop you in your tracks. It doesn't need much care at all... in fact I had forgotten where I planted it, didn't feed it or do anything to it this year. Just make sure you keep the clematis off the ground, and put down snail bait, as snails love to eat the tender clematis shoots. I use Sluggo as that one is good is you have dog/cat, not toxic to them.

• carolfm
    14 years ago

Agree with the above posters and would like to add Perle d'Azur as a suggestion for the medium lavender.

Carol

• jeanne_texas
    14 years ago

I am just mad about "Voluceau","Galore","Royalty","Tentel" and the others mentioned above..these are all pruning group 3's that just adore growing in my warm climate and very vigorous and so floriferous...Jeanne

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists