toucanjoe

Few Pic's

toucanjoe
13 years ago

{{gwi:589852}} {{gwi:589853}} {{gwi:589854}} {{gwi:589855}}

Comments (24)

• jeanne_texas
    13 years ago

OMG!! THEY ARE STUNNING!!..How beautiful Joe..you've truly got Clematis heaven on earth there!!..love your bench..I could just LIVE there...Jeanne

• threas
    13 years ago

Wow, Joe! They are stunning! Thanks for sharing! How old are they?

Theresa

• toucanjoe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all,happy i could share with you. Joe

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

They look very nice but the one you have labeled Ramona isn't Ramona. I wish mine were as lush and full. They sure aren't.

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

Amazing. Thanks for posting the photos. Dr. Ruppel. Whew.
    Renee

• jeanne_texas
    13 years ago

BoS..were you think as I was that his "Ramona" is really "H.F.Young"?...Jeanne

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

It looks like my HF Young, but I didn't notice until LeeAnne said something. You both have good eyes.

• totos.mom
    13 years ago

Well, whether it's HF Young or Ramona, it is spectacular. They all are!

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Agree, it is spectacular, they all are.

Yes, I was thinking HF Young.

I wasn't trying to be snarky, most people who post here do want to know the names.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    13 years ago

I go with HF Young also. That was my first thought when I saw the picture, before I saw Ramona written at the bottom.

It's a lovely clem.

Kate

• toucanjoe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I only put on the post what the plant marker said when i purchased it.I am not an expert.If you goolgle Ramona it loks very similar to mine.My plant blooms are darker in the fist week than the picture i showed,they are a little sun bleached now. Joe

• toucanjoe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I forgot to say thank you for the correction on Ramona.Now i will change my marker. Joe

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Ramona has red stamens even when fully open. The shape is a tad different too. There are many the same color but Ramona stands out. :)

Tags can certainly be wrong. I once saw a whole table of blooming Clems for sale all tagged wrong.

• jeanne_texas
    13 years ago

Trust me Joe..I've recieved many mislabled clematis..it happens to all of us!!...Jeanne

• bob414
    13 years ago

I've often wondered how so many clematis get mislabeled. Isn't it the growers that are labeling them? Big box stores and nurseries I've bought from don't label them. They get them already labeled. I don't think their distributors label them. Seems like the growers could keep them straight.

• summermusicz4ia
    13 years ago

To bob414: I agree with you. The stores often get a bad rap but the tags are wrong when they come from the growers. Many times the labels are barely anchored into the pots so I often push the tags down further into the dirt when I am plant shopping. We have all seen tags separated from the pots either by wind or careless shoppers.
    I have been lucky, no errors from the big home improvement stores. My only mislabeled were 2 end-of-year buys from a local reputable nursery, but I don't blame them, it happens and I paid almost nothing for them. Bought 4 pots with lost tags from my grocery store a couple years for very little knowing they would be a surprise.

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Beautiful! Such lovely cllematis!
    kay

• mehearty
    13 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous.

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

A comment to whose fault is it: the store, distributor or grower?

There is a regional big box store in my area called Menards that competes with L0we's and H0me Dep0t. One day I noticed that most of the hosta had the dreaded hosta virus. I mentioned it to the manager. He didn't care. The distributor's name was on a sticky label attached to the pot, so I looked up the distributor, found an email address and emailed them twice. I didn't get a response. Everything was up to date on the website, so I assume that the email address was up to date too.

Everyone was at fault as far as I am concerned. All growers know about the hosta virus, some don't care that they are sending out infected plants. The distributor also knows about the virus, but since they are supplying huge chains with plants that must be at a discounted price, they buy what is cheap. The buyers for the stores are only interested in filling their shelves as cheaply as possible, so they don't buy from distributors who sell good plants. A distributor who doesn't care about sick plants does not care if the plant tags are with the right plants.

• lori_holder
    13 years ago

Last year the big box stores imported Late Blight into our neighborhood via infected tomato plants. Then we had a cold, wet June that made the Late Blight come early - people were lucky to get even a handful of tomatoes that year. Still unhappy about the big box behavior there.

All of these clematis look fantastic, but the "Dr. Ruppel" knocks my socks off every time I look at that picture!

• justinryan215
    13 years ago

I am in total agreement with lori holder^^^^Dr. Ruppel is gorgeous! I am thinking I may get one for myself!!!!!
    Beautiful pictures, by the waY!

Justin

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

Just an FYI.

I recently read that Dr. Ruppel performs better in the colder zones that most bi-colors.

• summermusicz4ia
    13 years ago

Dr Ruppel is an oldie but goodie! Easy to find (any big box store usually has a gallon pot) and easy to grow. Thanks for the great pics.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    13 years ago

Really gorgeous clemies, I have Dr. Ruppel too, it's one of my favorites but mine doesn't show itself off the way yours does.

Annette

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?