Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolfm_gw

Buyorsell, Here's the Rebar Pyramids

carolfm
16 years ago

These are the best photo's I could find of it. Very easy, very inexpensive. Hope you can see the details clearly enough.

{{gwi:227434}}

{{gwi:589856}}

I have a rose planted on mine and two clematis. All are babies. You can barely see the white blooms peeping over the fence.

Carol

Comments (22)

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

Thank you! LOL I just was searching the rose forums.

What are they held together with at the top? Wire?

• carolfm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

There is a hose clamp securing them together at the top. The kind of hose clamp you see on car hoses. I have seen photo's of similar rebar structures with short pieces of rebar secured horizontally with wire rebar ties between the vertical pieces. You are welcome and I hope this helps. The search function on the rose forums hasn't been working very well lately.

Carol

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

Wonder how easy it would be to bend that rebar? I know a few years back Jackson Perkins or someone along those lines had a trellis that looked sort of like an umbrella--one solid pole with fingers that radiated out and down. I think maybe Jeanne purchased one. Seems it would be easy to make by hose clamping four or five rebar pieces together and then bending the ends down to look like an umbrella missing the fabric. Just don't know how easy rebar bends.

• carolfm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Miguel, yes it can be bent. I have seen photo's of rebar bent into a U shape. The person who had shaped the rebar said it was not difficult. He has used rebar to build all kinds of structures. I have not tried it myself.

Carol

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

Thanks Carol. My experience with rebar has been short 2 foot long pieces or so. Those pieces are very rigid and I can't see how those would easily be bent without a pipe bender. All of my trellises are secured in the ground by beating the rebar into the ground at the legs of the trellis and hose clamping the leg of the trellis to the rebar.

Thanks again!

• buford
    16 years ago

carol, your yard is lovely!

• carolfm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Buford, thank you. Between the thrips and PM it is a bit of a mess right now.

Miguel,I secure all of my trellises, obelisks, everything with rebar and it never moves a fraction. I love rebar. I would love to see what kind of structures you can come up with using rebar since you are the master of innovative structures :-)

Carol

• persiancat_gardener
    16 years ago

Oh Boy, it's back to lowes I go. Love this idea. Must make one. Thanks so much

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

Carol, at this stage of this horrible season as far as rain goes, I am thinking of anything but more structures to build for clematis because I need more to water like I need a hole in the head. LOL I am installing another drip irrigation system though that should help cut down on the watering of my existing clematis.

• carolfm
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Miguel, I was really hoping we would get some rain from this tropical storm but it is going to miss us completely. You too? It is really, really bad here right now! Grass is even turning brown. I wish we had an irrigation system!

Carol

• buford
    16 years ago

We may get something from Barry. I'm watching the radar carefully. It's a bit overcast this AM, which at least helps because the sun is not frying everything. Of course, I was hoping for some sun because I'm painting my bathroom on the east side of the house and had to take out the light yesterday. You can't win, can you!

Anyway, I am watering because today is my watering day and I can't chance that we will get any rain.

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

Carol, same here. The grass here is completely brown and it looks like middle August. I can't imagine what it is going to look like when it actually is August. As for whether we will get any rain or not, I am just taking a wait and see attitude. The weather guessers have missed calling the weather right here way too often for me to ever believe them!!

Check out the Dripworks website. I have two of the Yard and Garden Kits. I also order extras of the types of drip emitters that I need. I got one system two years ago and have loved it. I just received my second one and am planning on installing it Sunday. Perhaps that will make it rain!! LOL I also have several soaker hoses that do great when you have things jammed close together(see my jam it close together philosophy does have a plus!). The drip system works great to cover things that are spread out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dripworks

• remontant
    15 years ago

Carol, I'm thinking of trying one for Buff Beauty. He's already smashed a cedar arbor from Lowe's (I thought I heard a laugh when it collapsed). How's this working out for you? Do you have it sunk in concrete?

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

I really need to make DH made me a couple of these. I have some commercial obelisks but don't want everything to be the same.

Thanks for bringing this back up.

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Nckvilledudes, rebar is pretty heavy duty stuff. We have tons of it around here with hubby being a bricklayer and doing some concrete work here and there. It won't bend too easily. I would recommend getting a pipe bender and maybe heating up the rebar with a blow torch a bit to help it bend a little easier if it acts too stubborn.

Carol, your garden is beautiful! I thing your pyramid is ingenious! That clamp is perfect for securing them together. Thank you for showing it to us!

Tracy

• rjlinva
    15 years ago

Miguel,

I've been using rebar a lot lately...I've had the best luck going to the local steel company with a diagram of what I want and having them bend it "professional" into arches with a 5ft diameter on a 20 ft piece of rebar. I have bent some myself, but I'm not so happy with it. Also, pounding a 5 ft piece of pipe into the ground 2 ft deep and sliding the rebar into it seems more secure than just driving the rebar directly into the ground...ask me how I know...

I can talk ad nauseam about rebar.

robert

• remontant
    15 years ago

Thanks Carol! That's good to know. You inspired me so I went to Lowe's yesterday. They didn't have any cut rebar between the 3' and the 20' lengths, so I wandered around until I ended up in the fencing section and found three hefty steel posts that are about 6'. Found the hose clamps and got it set up last evening. It seems steady enough even without being buried in concrete, so we'll see. Buff Bully isn't too amused at being trussed up, but I hope he'll straighten up and deal with it in time. ;-D

PS--your garden *is* gorgeous. If yours looked like that in a drought, I can't wait to see it after this year's nice rains!

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

Do you put a Clem on each corner or one in the middle of the pyramid?

Do you have to tie them on?

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    15 years ago

My husband made me a couple of these last year. I wasn't sure whether the clems would climb without help, so I wound a few strands of fishline around the pyramid, but it's beginning to look like that wasn't necessary. On at least one of them, the clems are grabbing hold by themselves. I think it will be helpful that the rebar has some texture to it, so they won't slide down. I hope, anyway.

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

Thanks for the advice Tracy and Robert. I knew that there had to be a way to do it, but just didn't know who to try to get to do it. Robert, would love to see pictures of your creations. I can't picture in my mind what you are talking about with your 20ft. rebar bent with a 5 ft. diameter.

Just a few weeks ago on Victory Garden (might have been a repeat), they made a huge tuteur out of rebar similar to what they used to sell at Smith and Hawken that looked like a huge haystack. I almost bought one several years ago and wish that I had. I wondered how easy it would be to actually construct it because they made it look too easy.

Carol, it goes without saying that your garden picture last year looked smashing. Post more pictures this year please.

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Miguel, I think it would be a high arch. If both end points are only 5 feet away from each other then over a 20 span of iron it should be approximately 5-6 feet tall depending how deep they are stuck in the ground.

Robert, I would love to see pictures too. Do you have them in different parts of the garden or do you have them covering a walkway. My mind is buzzing with possibilities. Please show us! lol!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting