Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nckvilledudes

Newest blooms

nckvilledudes
15 years ago

After hacking back the hedges late this afternoon and sweating in the sun, I decided to tour the garden to see what new was in bloom. First up but not actually new in bloom is Cassis. The original bloom has aged somewhat and the central boss has opened up. About 5 or 6 new blooms have opened up and I am really excited about this clematis!

{{gwi:589897}}

Jan Fopma, purchased and planted last spring, is finally budded up. I am anxious to smell the blooms when the buds open up since the flowers reportedly have the fragrance of chocolate. What a combo--divine flowers and fragrance of chocolate to boot.

{{gwi:589898}}

Clematis Miranda had her first bloom open up recently. It is supposedly like Arabella but has a darker bloom.

{{gwi:589899}}

An unknown clematis that I have no idea what it is and where it came from. I had to have purchased it since it is at least 7 feet tall but I can't figure out what it is.

{{gwi:589900}}

Durandii finally opened its first bloom sometime recently. I like the color but wish it were as floriferous as Juuli is for me.

{{gwi:589901}}

Anticipation is all I can say. Duchess of Albany is budded up and some showing color. Let the parade begin.

{{gwi:589902}}

Already shown previously but still a great sight and continuous blooms. A riot of color, what more could you ask??

{{gwi:589904}}jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">

{{gwi:589906}}

{{gwi:589908}}

{{gwi:589909}}

Comments (15)

• Joan Dupuis
    15 years ago

WOW, some show. Would love to walk around your yard. Dawn is only about waist high, but is bushy and has about 100 flower buds waiting to open. The only other one with a few buds is Will Goodwin. I have moved many of my seedlings from 2005 to the new fence areas, so cutting the roots may delay their blooms this year, but I should still see some flowers.

Joan

• flowerfan2
    15 years ago

Wow, beautiful clematis and such a gorgeous garden. Things are finally starting to bloom up here but you are a good 6 weeks ahead of us. Keep the photo's coming. Karen

• nckvilledudes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Karen and Joan. Glad you liked the photos. Anyone care to offer a guess on the unknown clematis. My best guess is Hanna, but shape wise it just isn't right. Don't you just love when you get something and you have no idea of where it came from??

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

You have a vast and beautiful collection. The 'Cassis' is quite stunning! Thank you for posting all the pictures.

• michael_in_chicago
    15 years ago

Geez, Miguel, I'm often stunned when people's gardens are so far ahead of mine, though I know where they're located. Cassis is a beauty, isn't it? Your Miranda doesn't seem as dark as mine was, but I'm sure we both got it from Dan. Thanks for posting.

• nckvilledudes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No problem Hoovb.

Love Cassis Michael. Yep, got Miranda from Dan. Just realize that southern sun can fade clematis here in a hearbeat. Probably not a problem for you being so far north. I think I saw where you all were at 46 degrees there today. We were in the mid 80s and it is already getting dry. Time to get the rain dance gear out!

• bluesibe
    15 years ago

Oh how beautiful!

Now I have to go find Cassis, I have a good place for it.

• alina_1
    15 years ago

Sooo nice! I guess you were doomed to have Cassis Miguel:-) One way or another... It is so distinctive! Love it.

• LindaMA
    15 years ago

I'm looking forward to seeing the blooms on Jan Fopma, it looks very intriguing and smells like chocolate too, where ever did you find it.

As always, your garden is lovely!

Linda

• nckvilledudes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Linda, Jan Fopma was obtained from Plant Delights Nursery. The bloom has opened but the flowers do no smell like chocolate to me as per COTW. Perhaps it is still too early and it will develop over time. All I get out of it is a slight floral fragrance.

Fascination on the left and Jan Fopma on the right.
    {{gwi:586246}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Jan Fopma at Plant Delights Nursery.

• gardengirl_17
    15 years ago

Gorgeous! You are feeding my addiction.

• carolfm
    15 years ago

That Cassis is gorgeous and I truly love Jan Fopma, but what I really want is that precious vase! Where did you find that Miguel?

Carol

• nckvilledudes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Carol, that is an antique that came out of my grandmother's house. She gave it to me a few years before she died after I commented on how much I liked it.

• suebot
    15 years ago

How old is your Duchess of Albany and what do you feed her? She is gorgeous! I need to know your secrets. I have a DoA that I purchased from Bluestone's sale last spring. We planted it in a 1 gallon pot and nursed and pinched. Planted it in the early fall w/a wonderful looking rootball. This year she is growing but leaves and stems are not hearty looking; no buds yet either. I fed her Rose food and then gave her a handful of limestone. Please advise. By the way, I love all of your posts and pics. Between you and Jeanne I can spend hours drooling over your plants.

suebot in CT

• nckvilledudes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Suebot, the DofA was planted in spring of 2004. I have used a variety of fertilizers over the years and am not stuck on any one type--whatever I tend to have or have purchased at the time. This has ranged from general 10-10-10 slow release fertilizer, to rose fertilizer, to alfalfa pellets, to mulching with grass clippings, etc. You name it and I have probably used it at one time or another.

Glad you like the enabling photos.