Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pot up or put in the ground

Posted by landperson 9 (My Page) on
Mon, May 9, 11 at 19:48

Today I stopped in at a new nursery and left with five clems in tiny pots (3"?). This is new to me. I have always bought clems in gallon pots, but....I'm a sucker and I picked up Margaret Hunt, Rhapsody, Violet Elizabeth, Ville de Lyon and Rouge Cardinal, none of which I had.

So, my question is: should I pot these up into gallons for a season to keep them protected (or something), or should I go ahead and put them into the ground?

Your experience is appreciated.
Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pot up or put in the ground

I pot mine up for a year to give them time to grow roots. I haven't had much luck with those that I put in the ground this size.

o

Thanks Memama_gayle. That's what I'm going to do.
Susan

o

I also usually pot my small clematis up. Those few that were planted when tiny didn't do much that first year. Some even disappeared though came back the next year. For me, it is just easier to keep the small plants watered if they are potted up and in a holding bed that first year. By the next year the roots have filled the gallon pots.

o

Pot them up. While some do have luck putting them straight into the ground most don't.

Use a quality well draining potting soil and make sure they don't dry out.

o

They are potted up and in a place that I visit every day with the hose. Thanks for all of your very consistent advice. It makes it so easy to follow when everyone seems to agree :-))))

And it gives me plenty of time to figure out where I want these beauties. I have two sitting in gallon pots that I still haven't put in the ground, so I can use a bit of delay time for decision making.

Susan

o

When you purchase a clematis vine that is potted in small pots, you are recommended that you repot them into a larger pot for at least a year before planting it in the ground. What size pot are you suggesting it to be potted in? Maybe the size pot a good size azelea or mum would come in? Do you keep that in the shade or full sun for that year? What is best light exposure for clematis -morning and early afternoon sun or late afternoon sun which would be hotter?

o

I pot mine to a gallon sized pot and put in full sun.

Most Clematis want full sun like roses though a few flowers can fade they all grow fine. Some will tolerate some shade better than others.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here