Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taz6122

Clematis? pics

taz6122
12 years ago

Hi all. I'm a newbie to this forum and would like to know if anyone can ID this plant and if it's possible to propagate by cuttings??

{{gwi:590150}}

{{gwi:590151}}

{{gwi:590152}}

I'm amazed they're not all blurry with the gale force winds blowing as a storm approaches. TIA for any info you can give me.

Comments (6)

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

Clematis 'Ville de Lyon'

Clemmies are very hard to root from cuttings. Some have reported good success with layering.

Personally, I don't want more of the same variety so I don't ever try propagating.

• taz6122
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You say "very hard". Doesn't mean impossible right? Does anyone here know if it is harder to root than Passiflora incarnata? It is one of the most difficult of the species but I've rooted several.
    I'm just trying to fill out the lattice in the picture. I need more than 1 to do that, or do I?

• alina_1
    12 years ago

If you will manage to root a cutting (and it will take you 6 month to 1 year), the plant will reach a blooming size in at least 2 years. So, you will spend 3 years on getting the exact same Clematis.

IMO, it is much better to have different colors/types. If you want to save money, buy small Clematis from a reputable nursery, online or local.

Bluestone Perennials has 50% off sale right now. Their Clematis are small, but they already have good roots.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

I have rooted clematis cuttings. Since these are not ones that I "want" or "need" for my own gardens they are simply placed in a container of mix and kept moist in a shady area on my patio. Some root and some don't. When they are two years old these extras are shared with friends and/or taken to swaps. I do these as an experiment and for fun so don't worry if they don't succeed. I also start clematis from seed.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

You may not need more than one clematis for your trellis. If you pinch the stems as they emerge in the spring more stems will be encouraged from the roots. In a few years your clematis might be large enough to cover your trellis.

If you want to be sure your trellis is covered you can add another clematis. Many of us prefer to mix clematis with varieties that might bloom another time to have continuous bloom or to contrast color or flower shape/size or to harmonize.

If you do some searching on this site you can find photos of many different combinations.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

Ville de Lyon will eventually fill a space approximately 12' tall by 3'-4' wide.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living