Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dead clematis?

Posted by trustmissy 5MidMich (My Page) on
Tue, May 6, 14 at 20:21

Here is a picture of my Ville de Lyon clematis from last year. I trimmed it back quite low this year, but it is showing no growth or life yet. Do you think the cold winter would have killed the plant? It is 13 years old and was so beautiful.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dead clematis?

I wouldn't worry about it for at least a month yet. My clematis are only just starting to sprout, and your winter was probably colder than mine. Add to that the colder than normal air temperatures caused by the still partly frozen Great Lakes, and your clematis is probably just slow to get started this spring.

o

I agree that it's too soon to say. Lots of mine have started, but quite a few show no signs of life yet. I usually give clems a LOT of time before I declare them dead. In fact, I thought Madame Julia Correvon had died last year, only to see her coming back strong this spring! It's one of the things I love about these plants.

o

I have a clematis that is showing no signs yet either, and another one is at least a foot tall with buds! I am giving mine at least until the end of may to show signs of life before I give up. I might just did up the roots and pot it if it's still not showing signs just in case.

Hope yours comes back, what a gorgeous clematis!

o

Thank's for your words of encouragement. I hope you are correct that it is just late. I have a Jackamini in the same area that is just a year old, and that one has been growing for a couple of weeks.

o

I hope so too. The one that is not coming back for me is of course one that I babied all summer long. The one that is growing like a weed already is one I planted last year and totally forgot about. Go figure. :P

I have my fingers crossed for you.

o

That is just gorgeous against the grey fence.

o

This has been such a crazy year due to the weather. I find that my clem that usually blooms first has been almost the last to bloom this year, and the timing of all the rest are off also.

Be patient.

o

trustmissy, my Madame Julia Correvon is doing the same thing. No new growth yet this year at all while all the rest are really beginning to leaf out and bud out. I am also worried about that MJC. I keep praying for a miracle :)

o

Winter weather is not really a major problem for most clematis and certainly cutting them back won't hurt them. Be patient grasshopper.

o

That is a beautiful picture ! I hope it comes back for you soon! I had a Clem " die " on me in a horrible swampy part of my old yard that never seemed to drain . In July it decided it would pop back up much to my surprise!
Never did figure out drainage issue .. Had to move ! Lol

o

Update - I was gone for 4 days and when I got home today I saw that my clematis is finally showing lots of growth.

o

Yay! Thanks for letting us know.

o

Glad to hear it's coming back!!! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here