Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Clematis m. Mayleen, just coming up?

I planted Mayleen last fall and kept looking and looking for it with no luck. I had given up on it and noticed today there is the smallest little growth on it. It just makes me wonder why it was so late. Was it struggling for some reason, or does it always come up this late?

Comments (12)

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I'm thinking you are at the extreme end of it's hardiness zone. It just may be waking up now.

The Montanas are mostly done here but I saw one a couple days ago still flowering.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So, does that mean I have to worry about it coming back each spring? Should I be mulching it heavily over the winter?

Thanks

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I'm no expert on cold weather gardening but I would guess, yes to both questions.

Do you see Clematis montanas growing around your area?

• alina_1
    13 years ago

I am not an expert either, but I would guess that the roots can be easily protected by using mulch, but I am not sure how bud hardy it is. It blooms on old wood, so if buds get killed by the frosts, I'd be disappoingted... There is no point growing a non-blooming Clemmie, right?

I planted Montanas 'Brighton Star' and 'Mayleen' two years ago. Last year none of them grew, so I thought they did not make it. This year, I can see a single sprout that resembles Clematis... No blooms of course. Keep my fingers crossed...

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No, no point in growing a non blooming clematis, alina. I didn't realize it bloomed on old wood, I didn't think about that when it was on sale. [g] Well, I am going to call Bluestone tomorrow, who sold it to me and see what they have to say. It's listed on their website as being hardy to zone 5 !!

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Do either of you see them blooming in other gardens/yards as you drive around your areas?

That can often be an indicator more than what zone a plant is listed on the tag/website.

They are all over the place here and C. armandiis are too.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    13 years ago

buyorsell, I am one of about three gardeners in my neighborhood and everyone else has the standard foundation plantings and lawn and that's about it. [g] No, I don't remember seeing many montanas, but I'm sure I've seen some, it's probably been awhile. I'm not sure I would recognize 'Mayleen'.

• alina_1
    13 years ago

I've never seen any Montana here. It does not mean much though. I saw group III once or twice here (not counting my garden). Needless to say that group III Clematis are fantastic growers in my area. I've never seen marcopetala or alpina here either. My 'Pink Flamingo' and 'Sialia' are rewarding me with wonderful blooming right now. People just buy common group II at HD or Lowe's.

I like to grow unique and unusual plants. My family is sick of my hobby, but I can see that DH is happy when visitors and friends make compliments on my flowers :)
    I would love to have a blooming Montana to obscure my neighborÂs ugly trees...

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I may be abnormal. Any time I get in the car I look at plants in people's yards and commercial landscapes. I do it at home and when traveling. I take different routes because I know certain plants might be blooming or because yards are nicer in that area....I get off the freeway and take side streets for the same reason. Again, I may be abnormal.

I'm not saying if you never see it around it won't grow there but if you do see it all over the place you sure know it will.

• alina_1
    13 years ago

You are not abnormal :) Last year, I even took pictures of the commercial landscapes to get some ideas. Clematis are never used in such landscapes here unfortunately, so I have to go with more "cottage" look for my garden to incorporate my Clemmies.

Regular gardens and yards are rarely exciting here... Individual specimens are often beautiful, but overall designs are ugly and/or boring.

• unbiddenn
    13 years ago

I grow two m. Reubens in zone 5. One never bloomed so I transplanted it late fall. It is up and trying to climb the tree I planted it under. The blooming one, climbs a tall viburnum on the north side of the house, protected from winds but in sun most of the day.
    I'm in N. Wisc.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Many yards here are boring too. I am mostly looking at individual specimens. There are some sections of town with old rock gardens and overall this area is very green.

I have more plants in my garden than my entire street put together. It is a short street but there are about a dozen homes on it.

There happen to be two huge montanas between my house and the library. One up a tree that you never notice until it blooms and the other all along a fence. I noticed a large flowered Clem the other day too. Poor thing is trying to climb a telephone pole.

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider