Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idabean2

unmoored

Marie Tulin
13 years ago

The viburnum carlesii that supported my clematis (Nelly Moser) died this spring. I ignored the clematis and now it is, as you would guess, a 3 foot mess of a vine. For now I'm just going to use a cage. As we tied the clem together to make 'caging' easier, it occured to me that I could probably just cut it back to a foot, untangle it and it would be fine, just bloom a bit later.

Is that correct?

I have The President and a Jackmani, too. They are planted at the foot of a stone wall. Are they too vigorous to train along the top? Will they too become all tangled?

Finally, I have a daphne Carol Mackie which got wacked by a felled tree many years ago. It is alive and well, just sideways with the 4 inch 'trunk' horizonal to the ground, before it starts to branch normally. Finally it occured to me that a clem would make good use of these imperfecions.

My sense is that it would have to be a pretty well behaved clem that won't smother the plant. Which clematis do you think would fill the bill for this shrub which has such lovely foliage?

Thanks, everyone.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
All American Painting Plus
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars114 Reviews
Loudoun County Paint & Wall Coverings Professional: Best of Houzz